Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Paying 20K+ for medical health insurance annully?! Norm?
Previous  1  2

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:57 am
Yes we are all not managing. And don’t forget deductibles and copays… literally drowning over here.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 10:58 am
anyone know more about healthshare?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 12:46 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:
Yes we are all not managing. And don’t forget deductibles and copays… literally drowning over here.

you get it

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 3:48 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
If you don’t have significant medical needs look into a HealthShare. That’s what we are doing because we have no choice. Even though you might need to pay out of pocket for things like therapy it still comes out cheaper.

I agree! That’s what we’re on now. United Refuah Healthshare is amazing! I’m currently pregnant b”h and going to an expensive cash Dr. and they’re paying a huge chunk of that. Besides that, it is a pleasure dealing with them. You can see that you’re dealing with Jews with Yiddish hearts.

amother
Lotus

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 7:29 pm
A second vote for URHS. We also got kicked off Medicaid so this seemed like the best option.
We pay a total of $6k in yearly "premiums", preshare amount is I think $1500 per year

A few things to keep in mind if you decide to go this route:
Read the sharing guidelines VERY VERY carefully to understand exactly what's covered and what's not

Understand that you will be paying most bills yourself and will get reimbursed later. You will also be busy submitting medical bills, negotiating with doctors, etc.

Regarding medications: Most meds my family needed so far weren't expensive ($20-30), so no big deal. Even in cases where I did need meds that cost more, my pharmacy was really nice about it and gave me significant discounts.

Good luck!

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 7:35 pm
Healthshares usually do not cover preexisting conditions which I'm assuming you and your husband have since you mentioned you both take meds. Regarding drugs, if you have prime, look into Amazon pharmacy, I pay a fee of 5.99 per month but now alot of meds that I take are either free or significantly cheaper (prozac, prilosec ect)

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 7:37 pm
amother Plum wrote:
Healthshares usually do not cover preexisting conditions which I'm assuming you and your husband have since you mentioned you both take meds. Regarding drugs, if you have prime, look into Amazon pharmacy, I pay a fee of 5.99 per month but now alot of meds that I take are either free or significantly cheaper (prozac, prilosec ect)

They don't cover them in the outset, but after a period of time they do.

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 7:38 pm
No it is not normal. Its the American sick care system. Health insurance is not affordable.
I dont know why people make it seem like its easy to get insurance through and employer.

Most of my friends and I struggle with this.
I know it keeps many people from getting better salaries or working “off the books”

My husband and I walked around without insurance for a decade. We paid everything out of pocket and it was much cheaper. Think a couple of thousand of medical bills annually vs a premium plus deductible plus copay.
As we got older we didnt want that risk so we joined United refuah and we view it as a backup. Kinda like in case of emergency. They are not a health insurance but for the price you pay per month its worth the peace if mind.
We have a family plan through them and its saved us thousands.
Yes we do pay most of our medical bills on our own and if its an expensive year then we meet their criteria and the healthsharw kicks in

One huge disclaimer- this post was intended for healthy people. If there is a medical issue then you will either have to figure out a way to stay on govt funded insurance or pay through the roof or move to Israel.

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 7:40 pm
amother Apple wrote:
They don't cover them in the outset, but after a period of time they do.

They dont cover any drugs though.
You will be surprised though that if you pay out of pocket you can get them for significantly cheaper.

Reminds of the time I got a hospital bill for 50,000 and insurance paid 20,000. Its the way the world of billing and insurance works. Same with drugs.

UQT

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 7:41 pm
And then after you pay the $20k there are add ons. Eyes are an add on. Not part of your body evidently - you will need to pay out of pocket to get it checked. Teeth. An old add on everyone knows about. And now I just found out toes are also. Completely an add on accessory of the body and podiatrist aren’t covered on my expensive plan.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 10:04 am
amother Lavender wrote:
Come in from the southern border you will get what you need for free.

It makes me sick to think about this.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics