Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Struggling with missing out on quality music & entertainment

P3aches

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 3:06 pm
I would first like to preface this that everyone has their struggles and nisyonim in life. I don’t know what you’re going through and you don’t know what I am, but please spare your judgement. I don’t need mussar that I shouldn’t be doing certain things anyway so too bad on me. All I want to do is vent and hear if others feel the same. Thank you!

I feel like every day there’s a new music artist or celebrity that comes out as extremely anti-Semitic or anti-Israel. When this happens, I immediately stop listening to their music/watch their movies since I don’t want to support them in any way. Music is a huge part of my life and it’s so hard for me to stop listening to top notch artists. Kanye West was rough but I got over it. Dua Lipa was pretty hard. Selena Gomez is shaping up to be the hardest. And now there’s stuff about Lauv. Then I see that StopAntiSemitism.com named the actress that plays Callie on Greys Anatomy as Anti Semite of the week so I can’t watch reruns of Greys anymore either.

Does anyone else relate to this?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 3:07 pm
I get what you are saying but that is really limiting. I wouldn't buy anything or support them monetarily, but if they are anyway on pandora etc I'll listen.

hodeez

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 3:08 pm
The answer is all of these artists are trash regardless of their politics

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 3:23 pm
I respectfully disagree with chocolate moose and agree with you, OP. Someone comes out as antisemitic, I want nothing to do with them or anything associated with them. We don't listen to Wagner, either, and if I had known in my Chanel No. 5 stage that Coco was a Nazi sympathizer, I'd have poured my cologne down the drain. It's not about the money but about feeling slimed by contact of any sort with anything associated with an antisemite.

I'm sorry you're feeling constrained by your boycott, but stand strong and be proud. You're doing the right thing. Surely there are still enough performers who are not antisemitic to satisfy your artistic appetites?

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 3:27 pm
But I have to agree with hodeez that none of the performers you mentioned is what I would classify as "quality entertainment." Still, to each her own.

NechaMom

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 3:34 pm
100% wouldn't want to watch or listen to anyone antisemitic. They don't deserve our views. So I get you. It must be disappointing to learn that your favorite artist is a hamas supporter.

P3aches

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 3:38 pm
zaq wrote:
I respectfully disagree with chocolate moose and agree with you, OP. Someone comes out as antisemitic, I want nothing to do with them or anything associated with them. We don't listen to Wagner, either, and if I had known in my Chanel No. 5 stage that Coco was a Nazi sympathizer, I'd have poured my cologne down the drain. It's not about the money but about feeling slimed by contact of any sort with anything associated with an antisemite.

I'm sorry you're feeling constrained by your boycott, but stand strong and be proud. You're doing the right thing. Surely there are still enough performers who are not antisemitic to satisfy your artistic appetites?

Thank you! And same. My grandparents were holocaust survivors, it was deeply ingrained in me not to buy German Cars. In this case, I don’t want to support any of these ppl at all and it’s really hard, hence this post lol.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 4:37 pm
I completely stopped listening to non Jewish music after October 7 because I got the feeling that almost all those people don’t care that so many Jews died and are held hostage. I don’t want to support them and I don’t find any comfort in their music anymore

amf

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 4:40 pm
I just think what would would happen if they met me, a visibly Jewish person. They literally are calling for us to be brutally killed and wiped off the earth.

That's enough to make me recoil at the thought of supporting them, even in the tiniest way

pinkpeonies

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 4:42 pm
Tbh once I saw that Callie from greys was non binary, I couldn’t watch it anymore…
I definitely understand you OP

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 4:58 pm
I hear you. I've been watching Grey's Anatomy for the first time but I can't enjoy it knowing what Sara Ramirez is saying. Jesse Williams too I believe has said some very bad things. It's not about giving them money or support, it's just impossible to enjoy the show when you're watching blatantly antisemitic people laughing and chatting and you can't get the fact that they hate you out of your head. Oh well, I made it to season 9, good enough.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics