Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Poll-How do you really feel about Purim
Previous  1  2

How do you really feel about Purim?
I love it-favorite day so much fun and my chance to shine  
 11%  [ 21 ]
I enjoy but glad it is only once a year  
 49%  [ 89 ]
Take or leave-it is what it is  
 12%  [ 22 ]
Dislike, but it’s better than Yom Kippur-at least I can eat.  
 11%  [ 20 ]
Dislike tremendously-so much social pressure. Makes me or my kids feel insecure and bad about ourselves  
 11%  [ 20 ]
So stressed- DH and/or kid’s drinking makes me so upset and kills me  
 4%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 180

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 3:31 pm
I love the costumes, and Mishloach Manos and the happiness.

But I hate the out of control vomiting drunk boys and men. They really ruin my day every year. No I don’t enjoy having to watch my every step and see you vomiting all over the streets. I really wish it would stop.

Miranda Wright

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 3:32 pm
Purim is for extroverts. I'll be in the corner quietly sorting my candy, thanks.

Tao

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 3:33 pm
Literally my favorite day of the year. I look forward to it from Shushan Purim the previous year!
It's actually always been my favourite YT. Okay, so Purim is most little kids favorite YT. But I've just never grown out of it, lol!
I'm normally more into the Purim spirit, putting on the Purim story, and Purim songs from the second it's Rosh Chodesh Adar. This year I'm in my 6th month and way more tired than usual, and I can't handle extra noise right now so not really putting on any music or getting so into the vibe. I feel like I'm missing out though, so maybe I should push myself! It's going to be another whole year until Purim!
(Having said all that - even I could not do 2 days of it. I'm very glad it's just one day! LOL )

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:17 pm
Big Mama Introvert here. I always had help when my kids were younger with their costumes. It passed peacefully. Now as empty nesters, I make the best of it. I go to a house reading after breaking the fast to hear Megilla. Maybe 5 ladies. Morning I go to Neightz. Home by 7.45am. Eat Breakfast with DH. Give MM to a couple neighbors plus our Rabbi and a Learning Chavrusa. That's it. I have about 5 extra in the house if someone pops in. I do not give my marrieds. (sometimes they come for Seuda). I try to focus on Tzedaka, Davening. I do enjoy sitting on the front porch in the late afternoon and seeing the costumes.

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:07 pm
Tao wrote:
Literally my favorite day of the year. I look forward to it from Shushan Purim the previous year!
It's actually always been my favourite YT. Okay, so Purim is most little kids favorite YT. But I've just never grown out of it, lol!
I'm normally more into the Purim spirit, putting on the Purim story, and Purim songs from the second it's Rosh Chodesh Adar. This year I'm in my 6th month and way more tired than usual, and I can't handle extra noise right now so not really putting on any music or getting so into the vibe. I feel like I'm missing out though, so maybe I should push myself! It's going to be another whole year until Purim!
(Having said all that - even I could not do 2 days of it. I'm very glad it's just one day! LOL )

I would love two days. I work many hours on a costume, why should I not enjoy it for two days? (I do a new costume every year.)

Tao

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:10 pm
zaq wrote:
I would love two days. I work many hours on a costume, why should I not enjoy it for two days? (I do a new costume every year.)

I spend hours on Purim prep too!
But, by the end of it, I'm socialized-out, my house is covered in sugary junk and empty boxes, my kids are off the wall bec I don't limit sugar intake on Purim, and I'm thoroughly exhausted and drained (happy and satisfied, but drained!)

Maybe I'd do another day of Purim 2 weeks later lol like a Purim sheini!

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:12 pm
amother Apple wrote:
I love the costumes, and Mishloach Manos and the happiness.

But I hate the out of control vomiting drunk boys and men. They really ruin my day every year. No I don’t enjoy having to watch my every step and see you vomiting all over the streets. I really wish it would stop.
BH this doesn't happen in my community. And I don't understand how anyone finds this sort of thing acceptable. The halacha states very specifically that if a person is going to disgrace himself when he gets tipsy, he should not drink. The idea is to get mildly befuddled or sleepy, not stinking drunk. I find it interesting that this kind of out-of-control behavior is more common davka in the charedi sector.

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:20 pm
I didn’t read the thread but I strongly dislike Purim for other reasons listed. It’s too loud and overstimulating for me, and I end up being responsible over everyone and everyone’s things all day, and we go to sleep way too late, and all the sugar and food coloring makes my kids crazy, and watching irresponsible behavior from bochurim and men makes my blood pressure rise. And the pressure to spend money on fancy mm for certain people, who don’t need it, but you you have to.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 12:32 am
I love Purim, but honestly I cringe from the new expectation for over the top, themed costumes and MM. I think its gotten out of hand and a huge stress on the budget. It used to be the focus was on giving tzedaka, remembering the nes-our special connection to Hashem - (may he make this year the biggest nes possible), being neighborly and reconnecting with friends who you may not have a chance to see during the busy weeks. As kids we clamored to deliver the mm as we got a tip, we felt to rich!
Now its just a contest, we get mm where the focus is on the presentation of a theme with the money spent on the wrapping and the food less practical for eating.

ora_43

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 5:04 am
Sorry OP but what's up with these poll options? My only choices if I like Purim are "favorite - my chance to shine" or "glad only once a year"?

Maybe I'm way off base here but I would think there'd be a lot of people with me in camp 'I love it, I don't have favorites, no holiday is my 'chance to shine' and I'm not sure I would want it to be'?

Purim is nice. No 'shining' here, we keep it simple. It's a fun day to have a special meal as a family (we have a unique Purim seuda that the kids really enjoy), to hang out with people I like, and there's just a general friendly atmosphere. If I went to lots of parties or spent hours delivering MM I'd probably find it very stressful but thankfully I don't experience pressure to do either of those things.

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 7:19 am
I do not like the lead up to purim because I am very not creative and it just gives me stress. But once purim comes I love it.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 12:27 pm
I feel like Purim is a giant contest. Who has biggest, fanciest MM. Biggest and most extravagant seudos. 1 costume for school dress up day and only nerds wear it for Purim itself (sorry, we do the same costume. Not buying or making 2).

No one invites us ever for a seuda. I feel so alone. We invite others but it isn't the same. People tend to forget us in terms of MM.

Please think of those who aren't already your best friend or who may be forgotten. The point is to increase Shalom- not just impress your friends and thank teachers.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 12:35 pm
If you like purim because it's "My time to Shine" then it's not about liking Purim it's about liking yourself.
I love Purim. There's no "shining" around here. Unless you mean the glow of a special day?
Basic simple, THEMELESS MM, Basic costume from gemach or bought, Go to Rebbis and teacher, have a seuda with family. BH.

mommieto3

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 11:22 am
I love Purim but the social pressure weighs heavy on me. I don't have many friends, and the close ones that I do have all moved out of town. So there's really no one giving us Shalach Manos. Thank g-d for the kids, we're busy with Morahs and Rebbis, and class meetups. But the glaring lack of a social life is so embarrassing and sad for me on Purim.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics