Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Any day camps in Brooklyn that are low key?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 12:07 pm
Ds went to one last year and complained it was too much. He’s in lower elementary and doesn’t like the nonstop trips/activities. He would love a low key backyard type daycamp. Are there any like that at all in Brooklyn for boys 7 yrs old?

bsy

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 1:22 pm
Once they're in pre1a and need a rebbi, they don't have backyard camps for boys

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 2:19 pm
My 7 year old is the same:(
No good option for the boys who like low key
Camps are made to be ra!ra!

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 2:20 pm
Same for my son who will be 6 in the summer

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 4:09 pm
I get that they need a rebbe but why o why do they need min of 1-2 trips weekly plus park daily plus swimming in massive pool plus late night once a week. It’s nonstop craziness. Ds hates it all. I know in Lakewood they have backyard type for kids this age was hoping I’d find here too.

bsy

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 4:16 pm
If you find one, let me know! As of now my going into 1st grader is registered in chaim but at that age it's still considered preschool so a bit less ra-ra

solo

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 7:09 pm
It’s def not low key but chaim is the most responsible of the daycamps and really looks after the boys

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 7:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
I get that they need a rebbe but why o why do they need min of 1-2 trips weekly plus park daily plus swimming in massive pool plus late night once a week. It’s nonstop craziness. Ds hates it all. I know in Lakewood they have backyard type for kids this age was hoping I’d find here too.
the real camps in Lakewood are even crazier though

amother
Iris

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 8:01 pm
amother OP wrote:

Maybe he would like chaim day camp better.
It's only 1 trip per week and 1 late night per month (and it's not so late at that age)

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:23 am
amother OP wrote:
Ds went to one last year and complained it was too much. He’s in lower elementary and doesn’t like the nonstop trips/activities. He would love a low key backyard type daycamp. Are there any like that at all in Brooklyn for boys 7 yrs old?

chassidish or litvish? I know of one that is chassidish, but there is learning the whole morning and then good wholesome fun in the afternoon...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 11:59 am
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
chassidish or litvish? I know of one that is chassidish, but there is learning the whole morning and then good wholesome fun in the afternoon...

I don’t care which. He goes to a Flatbush heimesh yeshiva. We live surrounded by chasidim. He only talks English tho

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 12:45 pm
amother Iris wrote:
Maybe he would like chaim day camp better.
It's only 1 trip per week and 1 late night per month (and it's not so late at that age)

My son went to Chaim last year - it was too rara for him and that was preschool.
He is not looking forward this year.
Any other options?
He will be 6

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 12:50 pm
I find that the majority of the camp makers are girls who want to make camps for other girls. Almost no one wants to make a camp for boys once they get to elementary school. I've been complaining for years about this. Once your boy finishes pre1a your only choice is the big camps with all that goes along with it. I think there is a bias against boys.

keym

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 1:40 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I find that the majority of the camp makers are girls who want to make camps for other girls. Almost no one wants to make a camp for boys once they get to elementary school. I've been complaining for years about this. Once your boy finishes pre1a your only choice is the big camps with all that goes along with it. I think there is a bias against boys.

In Lakewood, theres a whole industry of primary and 1st grade Rebbeim running smallish big camps for primary-2nd grade. I can think of 5 at least.
They rent out yeshiva or school space and have a fun time so the boys feel like theyre "big" and not in "baby camps". And its big, in that there are 100 boys. 40 primary divided into 2 bunks, 40 1st grade in 2 bunks, and 1 second grade bunk of 20.
So its a "big real camp" for geared towards a 6 year old so not overwhelming.
Once a week trampoline or bowling trip, no amusement park trips. Swimming in a big pool but only primary together so no "scary big boys".

I find that women and girls struggle to put together a program that works for the boys.
And teenage boys struggle with the oversight necessary.
It really needs to be run by the Rebbeim who do that age on a regular basis.

bsy

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 1:45 pm
keym wrote:
In Lakewood, theres a whole industry of primary and 1st grade Rebbeim running smallish big camps for primary-2nd grade. I can think of 5 at least.
They rent out yeshiva or school space and have a fun time so the boys feel like theyre "big" and not in "baby camps". And its big, in that there are 100 boys. 40 primary divided into 2 bunks, 40 1st grade in 2 bunks, and 1 second grade bunk of 20.
So its a "big real camp" for geared towards a 6 year old so not overwhelming.
Once a week trampoline or bowling trip, no amusement park trips. Swimming in a big pool but only primary together so no "scary big boys".

I find that women and girls struggle to put together a program that works for the boys.
And teenage boys struggle with the oversight necessary.
It really needs to be run by the Rebbeim who do that age on a regular basis.

In Brooklyn, many rabbeim go away for the summer to camps or colonies.

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 1:47 pm
Where I am, there was a rebbe who had a super popular pre1a back yard camp then he started taking 1st grade, 2nd now it goes until 6th. Even when it starts small, it ends up way bigger.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps