Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Would you move if you can't afford your community?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:27 am
I need a lot of sensitivity here, so please no bashing. My dh and I moved to a wonderful oot community, but my dh has a hard time finding job and financially we are tight. I don't drive and I thought since at least school would be close it wouldn't be a problem. But it's all on my dh to appointments and shopping. Please don't ask why I moved here since I don't drive, I didn't think it would be this hard.

My kids have friends here and we do too, is moving the answer?

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:30 am
This sounds so hard and stressful, I am so sorry. There are ways to deal with the not driving (taxis) but why don’t you drive?

The main issue is your husband not having a job really.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:31 am
taxis aren't really around here, I don't drive from an eye condition I was born with.

amother
Steel

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:32 am
(What does Driving have to do with affording the community ?)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:36 am
He always takes off work for appointments shopping etc...

amother
Steel

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 1:03 am
amother OP wrote:

Are there workarounds? Do stores deliver? Can you shop in the evening after work? Can you get a ride to the store with a friend or neighbor? How Many appts (per month) are we talking about? Can any of them be made telehealth?

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 1:14 am
Can you Uber? If not, yes I would move. It sounds like not the right place for you

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 8:18 am
I live in LA. Idk how would I manage without driving just taking off with the kids and having fun but I do know one chasidish woman in her 30’s here that doesn’t drive which is an exception. It is maybe part of the chasidish women lifestyle even though the other chasidish women here do drive.

teachkids

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 8:24 am
Where would you move that would work better? Generally places you don’t need to drive are cities which are even more expensive

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 8:51 am
Especially since you have a disability is there any kind of community assisstance in term of getting rides? I don't see how this problem would be better in a different community. Can you uber?

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 8:57 am
amother OP wrote:

Thats a big issue. Maybe a reason why he isn having a hard time keeping a job because he isn't being responsible. Yes he should take off once in a while for an important appointment but it shouldn't be for shopping and it shouldn't be often either

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 10:16 am
Sorry but your husband has a job. He can't just drive you everywhere. If I was his boss I would fire him too. Sorry but that is the truth. Your boss needs him and is paying him to do the work. Not drive you around.

Shopping needs to be done online, using delivery services (store or instacart), or on weekends/evenings.
Appointments you need to figure something out. How often? What kind of appointments?

Uber available? What about your health insurance- if it is medical appointments then sometimes they will pay for transportation if you medically cannot drive.

You can't move somewhere without public transit and not drive.
In your case I would move someplace with public transit. Even if more expensive at least husband can work.

meyerlemon44

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:15 pm
I would see if you can find a regular driver from your community, or care.com, or use hopskipdrive to get your kids to appointments.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating