Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Have never made full Pesach, what items am I missing
Previous  1  2

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:02 am
Seder Plate
Kos Eliyahu
Afikomen Bag
Small plates for karpas and chrain
Bowls for salt water
Trivets for hot dishes
Corkscrew
Wine coasters for plagues
Extra serving utensils
Serving bowls for salad
A couple of melamine trays for both milchig and fleishig (I set one for the morning coffee/cake) but also find it's helpful for serving fruit, meat, cookies, assortment of cheeses/fishes for lunch, or even carrying things from the kitchen.
Dishtowels
Pot/dish scrubbers
Good knife set (mine is from TJ Maxx and is in a block)

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 11:40 am
I have not read the replies, but I have made pesach for years. Buying on others’ recommendations may be useless. Make a full meal plan now- including three meals a day and snacks. Go through the Haggadah and make notes of where you need specialty items. Keep in mind what you already own and choose recipes that use those items. Once you have made a full meal plan, make a list of additional gear you will need. I suggest you keep the plan as a spreadsheet for future years. Don’t go crazy buying too much now. The first year is establishing basics. You can expand your collection in future years if you want to branch out.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 11:43 am
What’s an egg bowl for cracking?

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 11:55 am
For checking blood spots in eggs.

amother
Narcissus

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 12:53 pm
I found it helpful to think about my menu, what sort of foods I would be making and also the breakdown of how I would be cooking. Like if I would be cooking 2 different soups at a time, I would need 2 pots.
Once I had an idea of the foods I would be making, I then thought about what things I use in my kitchen on a regular basis. And what I would use, isn't the same as what you might use.
One piece of advice, it might only be a week's worth of meals and food, but because it is an intense time and you are often trying to do a lot at once, don't skimp on your materials. Buy good knives, good peelers etc. It makes everything so much better and easier.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 12:57 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
For checking blood spots in eggs.

Can be done easily with a disposable plastic cup.

Gt

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 12:58 pm
Hard disposable cutting boards , which actually can be used a few times each. I buy a pack from Amazon every year. I leave one on the counter and use it to cut tons of vegetables and potatoes. Then if I need to cut meat that day I’ll use it too and then toss it. If I’m just using for vegetables or fruit I can rinse it off if I want and reuse it. I find them so useful and since I’m not putting it away for a year there is only so much I have to wash it before using it for a similar thing or I can throw it out.

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 1:29 pm
I agree with Gt on the cutting boards. I have also used the disposable kind recently and it might be worth it for Pesach. Howeverm you would probably need to precut some for Shabbos and Yontiff.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 1:43 pm
Gt wrote:
Hard disposable cutting boards , which actually can be used a few times each. I buy a pack from Amazon every year. I leave one on the counter and use it to cut tons of vegetables and potatoes. Then if I need to cut meat that day I’ll use it too and then toss it. If I’m just using for vegetables or fruit I can rinse it off if I want and reuse it. I find them so useful and since I’m not putting it away for a year there is only so much I have to wash it before using it for a similar thing or I can throw it out.

Sounds great! Do you have a link for them? Thanks!

Gt

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 12:50 am
Search “disposable cutting boards “ on amazon. There are a couple
Different types and different quantities. See which looks best for your needs.

jewishmommy1

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 1:08 am
A good ice cream scooper for desserts- I have broken/bent metal spoons when I didn't have a scooper.
Nutcrackers.
Parve knives.
A good sharp fleishig knife or an electric knife to slice roasts.
A garlic press if you don't use frozen garlic cubes.
Potato masher.
Grater.
We like to put the seder wine in a beautiful wine decanter to beautify the seder.
Afikomen bag.
Little (glass/plastic) bowls to hold each item on the ke'arah.

Gt

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 1:13 am
Consider buying a Pesach crockpot. You can use it for cholent for shabbos on pesach , a main for lunch (put it up before you go to sleep the night before ) and chol hamoed supper you can put up in the morning.
I also use mine erev Pesach for a kosher lpesach stew when everyone is starving but is limited what they can eat. I put it up early in the morning and by mid afternoon it’s ready , then I turn it to keep warm so everyone can take when it works for them to eat with their erev yt preparations /napping / unpacking …

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 7:32 am
Wow! You all have given me such good tips and lists, I really appreciate it!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics