Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What finger food can a 7 month old eat?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:30 pm
Baby is desperate to feed himself but the only thing I can think of that he's capable of eating is crackers and bamba. Not the healthiest choices. His coordination isn't great, no pincer grasp yet, but he can grab a round cracker and take bites of it (half ends up on the floor but at least he's happy.) what else can I try for more variety?

He's allergic to bananas.

I tried carrots from soup but he couldn't get any grip on them.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:33 pm
Slices avocado, mango, etc. you can coat them in baby cereal to make them less slippery

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:34 pm
Any fruit or steamed vegetable. You can help him hold it.

Look up baby led weaning ideas, that should held you as well. Chicken, fish, pasta, cheese, tuna, yogurt, pretty much anything he can eat but will be more messy. Just let him experiment and learn to grab by setting up meals twice a day and letting him explore. If he is really hungry help him pick up stuff or feed him as he's exploring.

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:35 pm
French toast or pancake strips
Mango, pears
Soft meatballs but in a log
Sweet potato/potatoes in a strip

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:35 pm
You can put a lot of different foods in this and have him suck on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Munchki.....K5XY2

mom923

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:36 pm
Make an omelet and cut into strips
Sweet potato fries
Avocado wedges
Pasta (shaped like ziti, rigatoni and large shells are probably easiest to pick up)
I give my baby strips of meat/chicken too if your baby is ready for that in terms of texture and oral skills.
Strips of toast

I’m doing baby let weaning with my 6 month old. I’ll also give her strawberries to chomp on, but you have to watch to make sure the strawberry doesn’t get small enough that she can fit the whole thing in her mouth. Once it gets too small I take it and mash it or put it in the mesh feeder for her to self feed.

I also give her smaller finger foods and let her figure out how to get it in her mouth. Like pieces of matza balls, smashed blueberries. She loves it

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 11:17 pm
My BLW child is my worst eater, just fyi. So I don't believe in it anymore if that's what you're doing.

If baby is just bored and you're looking for ways he can entertain himself by eating alone I can tell you what my 7 month old is snacking on these days. Not a lot makes it to his stomach but it keeps him busy.
Thick pretzel rods, frozen broccoli florets (great for teething pain!), peppers, challah or bread crust, baked apple wedges, whole big strawberries.
He doesn't have teeth yet so he's not biting off big pieces just sucking the guts out of all these things.
He's under my careful watch to make sure no big pieces break off.
Things that I feed him little pieces or spoonfuls into his mouth are; baby cereal, bread pieces, scrambled egg, potato kugel, avocado, mashed potatoes, blended chicken,any cooked vegetable- sweet potato, carrots, squash etc... basically anything soft!

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:13 am
snackers
cherios (not honey)
gerber puffs
small pieces bread
melon/ any fruit placed in a net for babies
tiny pieces cooked chicken

scruffy

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:17 am
Long strips are the easiest shape for them to grasp at that stage. Look at Solid Starts for ideas.

Bleemee

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:17 am
amother DarkViolet wrote:
My BLW child is my worst eater, just fyi. So I don't believe in it anymore if that's what you're doing.

If baby is just bored and you're looking for ways he can entertain himself by eating alone I can tell you what my 7 month old is snacking on these days. Not a lot makes it to his stomach but it keeps him busy.
Thick pretzel rods, frozen broccoli florets (great for teething pain!), peppers, challah or bread crust, baked apple wedges, whole big strawberries.
He doesn't have teeth yet so he's not biting off big pieces just sucking the guts out of all these things.
He's under my careful watch to make sure no big pieces break off.
Things that I feed him little pieces or spoonfuls into his mouth are; baby cereal, bread pieces, scrambled egg, potato kugel, avocado, mashed potatoes, blended chicken,any cooked vegetable- sweet potato, carrots, squash etc... basically anything soft!

I don’t think there’s any real way for us to know how one child would have been later on in life with starting solids one way vs. another.
For many it’s simply easier and it’s more entertaining for the kids. Win-win. So it “works”.
I agree to Google for ideas almost all foods have safe ways to be fed to babies.
Solid Starts has a database.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics