Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Wedding invite - how to for deceased grandparents

myboubala

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 4:29 pm
For a wedding invite, when naming the deceased grandparents, if just the grandmother is deceased and not her husband, does her name end with Z''L or A''H? or it makes no difference?

The invitation vendor said they typically put Z''L for a man and A''H for a woman. And if both are deceased, then state their names together and end with Z''L. Any opinions? Thank you.

sequoia

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 4:38 pm
myboubala wrote:

The invitation vendor said they typically put Z''L for a man and A''H for a woman.

Off topic: why is that?

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 5:15 pm
We did A"H for deceased grandfathers.

I can't see why not do A"H in your situation as well. Although I don't really understand why one is typical for men and the other for women (according to this vendor at least).

myboubala

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 5:23 pm
Thank you for the replies. Z''L stands for "May (his or her) memory be a blessing," so I don't see why it cannot be for a woman as well as a man.

A''H means "peace be upon (him or her)."

But, I notice for Rabbeim, Z''L is used. I have never seen A''H used for a rabbi. So, maybe if I use Z''L for a woman, it might offend Rabbeim? Lol. I will ask the invitation vendor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics