Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Adina- is it from tanach

Mommy!

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:02 pm
Hi we just had a baby girl my husband only wants names from tanach does anyone knw if there is a source for the name Adina from tanach? I only found some stuff from wikipedia that it was rochel and Leah's mother but I can't find the actual source.
Any suggestions for any more modern names we can use? Already have a Naomi and Abigail

Success10

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:03 pm
Mazel tov! Michal is pretty popular.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:04 pm
Ada is tanachi

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:06 pm
Avital

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:08 pm
According to Wikipedia;
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adina_(given_name)#:~:text=Adina%20(עדינה)%20is%20a%20feminine,is%20the%20wife%20of%20Levi

Adina, in Jewish tradition, is the mother of Rachel and Leah,[2][3] while another, Adina daughter of Yovav ben Yoktan, is the wife of Levi[3]
Adina (biblical figure), male given name spelled עדינא, listed in I Chronicles 11:42 as one of the "mighty men" of King David's army

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:12 pm
Just named my daughter Adina and I was told by my husband it was Levi's wife's name, maybe he meant Lavan's wife. I don't know his source, but he said it's brought down.

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:18 pm
Rav Chaim quotes a Sefer that says adina is lavans wife
https://www.torchweb.org/torah.....d=442

Unigala

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:22 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Just named my daughter Adina and I was told by my husband it was Levi's wife's name. I don't know his source, but he said it's brought down.

yes I was coming here to say this!!

I just named my daughter adina as well Heart its not the same name as Dina - completely different meanings.

gingybread

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 1:19 pm
You can find the word Adina in Yeshayahu 47:8.

goodmorning

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 2:29 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Just named my daughter Adina and I was told by my husband it was Levi's wife's name, maybe he meant Lavan's wife. I don't know his source, but he said it's brought down.

Two separate Adinas; one was Lavan's wife and one was Levi's.

The source for both is the Sefer HaYashar, a midrashic work that was likely written during the time of the Rishonim or early Acharonim.

For mother of Rochel and Leah, here https://www.sefaria.org/Sefer_HaYashar_(midrash)%2C_Book_of_Genesis%2C_Toldot.6?lang=he&lookup=%D7%A2%D7%93%D7%99%D7%A0%D7%94&with=Lexicon&lang2=he

ויזכור ה׳ את עדינה אשת לבן אחרי כן, ותהר ותלד שתי בנות תאומות. ויקרא לבן את שמות בנותיו, את שם הבכירה לאה ושם הקטנה רחל. ויבואו האנשים ההם ויגידו לרבקה את הדברים האלה, ותשמח רבקה אוד כי פקד ה׳ את אחיה ויהיו לו בנים.

wife of Levi, here: https://www.sefaria.org/Sefer_HaYashar_(midrash)%2C_Book_of_Genesis%2C_Vayeshev.20?lang=he&with=all&lang2=he
וליובב בן יקטן שתי בנות, שם הגדולה עדינה ושם הקטנה ארידה. ויקח לוי את עדינה ויששכר לקח את ארידה, ויביאום ארצה כנען בית אביהם. ותלד עדינה ללוי גרשון קהת ומררי, בנים שלושה.

Mommy!

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 3:47 pm
Is Sefer Hayashar considered a valid and reliable rabbinical source?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 4:42 pm
Mommy! wrote:
Is Sefer Hayashar considered a valid and reliable rabbinical source?

I asked DH, and he said that Rav Chaim Kanievsky quotes from it. That's certainly reliable enough for me - especially since my name is Adina! LOL

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 6:37 pm
I like Tamar and Yael

salt

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:51 am
gingybread wrote:
You can find the word Adina in Yeshayahu 47:8.

Just looked this up too.
Can't work out what it is referring to though, in that passuk.
In my ignorance, I can't even understand if it's referring to Am Yisrael or Bavel or something else.

Tof Umachol

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:43 am
Some other interesting girls' names directly from Tanach (not Midrash):

Chava
Na'ama
Yisca
Elisheva
Batsheva
Ruth
Ada
Tzila
Avishag
Achinoam
Milka
Noa
Tirtza

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 7:38 am
Is he looking specifically for a name from tanach or a word that's in Tanach, bec they are two very different things.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names