Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Air fryer for dummies

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 6:32 pm
I just got an air fryer from a friend who barely used it. I have zero idea how it works! Can anyone give me basic step by step instructions?? Do I need to line the basket, how long different foods take, is there a temperature setting, etc. It the type with a drawer/basket part.

I’m thinking of French fries or sweet potato fries, Shnitzel, and any other easy fleishig food.

Thanks in advance!

Layokee

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 9:31 pm
I love my airfryer. You'll figure it out slowly. the exact instructions depend on what company and model it is. I don't line it because it is crisper that way but the cleanup takes much longer.
I usually use 390 degrees. Fries take approximately 20 mins and schnitzel approximately 15. It depends how big the pieces are.
If it's preheated or the second batch that you are making then it takes faster.
One downside is that it doesn't fit too much at once.

Layokee

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 9:34 pm
You can literally make everything in it. Pita chips, roasted chick peas, burgers... whatever vegetable I made in the air fryer is much better than roasted

hodeez

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 10:01 pm
Do the vegetables have to be in a single layer or they can be kinda on top of each other?

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 10:03 pm
It's a glorified convection oven. You could literally make anything in there. Enjoy!

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 10:05 pm
I love my air fryer, I make supper in it almost every night. I’ve made pepper steak, shnitzel, coated chicken, chicken on the bone, drumsticks, London broil, etc.
I don’t really use potatoes so I’ve never tried that, but I did once put frozen fries in it for my baby.
It cooks everything really well. Some foods need longer, others need less time. You’ll learn it as you go.
I find the only downside is the size of it, it takes up so much space!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 11:25 pm
Layokee wrote:
I love my airfryer. You'll figure it out slowly. the exact instructions depend on what company and model it is. I don't line it because it is crisper that way but the cleanup takes much longer.
I usually use 390 degrees. Fries take approximately 20 mins and schnitzel approximately 15. It depends how big the pieces are.
If it's preheated or the second batch that you are making then it takes faster.
One downside is that it doesn't fit too much at once.

very helpful, thanks for the starting point!

amother
OP

hodeez wrote:
Do the vegetables have to be in a single layer or they can be kinda on top of each other?

Yes same question!

amother
OP

amother Bisque wrote:
It's a glorified convection oven. You could literally make anything in there. Enjoy!

What’s the benefit over an oven that has a convection bake option?

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 11:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
What’s the benefit over an oven that has a convection bake option?

I love mine. The two differences are 1) the smaller size circulates heat better for getting crispy food. 2) on an air fryer the heat blows onto the food from the top. A convection oven has the fan on the side or on the back wall. You need the top down cooking to get the best results.

Layokee

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 8:29 am
hodeez wrote:

You can do either but if you do it in a single layer than it sill be ready faster and will be crisper as well

Layokee

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 8:30 am
Also very important: spray your food well with cooking spray on both sides before you start and if you're putting a lot at once, toss it often

lucky14

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 8:33 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
I love my air fryer, I make supper in it almost every night. I’ve made pepper steak, shnitzel, coated chicken, chicken on the bone, drumsticks, London broil, etc.
I don’t really use potatoes so I’ve never tried that, but I did once put frozen fries in it for my baby.
It cooks everything really well. Some foods need longer, others need less time. You’ll learn it as you go.
I find the only downside is the size of it, it takes up so much space!

Do you use recipes specific for the air fryer or your figure out the cook temps and times yourself?

Also can you please let me know how you prepare and temp and cooking time for the London broil?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics