Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Looking to redo kitchen on a budget
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 4:21 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
Sure!
Cabinet place: L & T modern kitchen 7184390081

Counter place: I Door inc (718) 359-0288 (super honest- made my price lower after they took final measurements)

Faucet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....title
Similar to one they sell in the frum stores
(I specifically wanted 2 handles not to get mixed up on Shabbos with hot and cold)

Backsplash: https://www.bedrosians.com/en/.....HI28G
I found it on Walmart.com with free shipping but took a while to come. You can get discounts directly from bedrosians and they advised to play around with the shipping for how many boxes per order. (The shipping price changes).
https://www.bedrosians.com/en/.....HI28G

Thank you! How old is your kitchen? Is it holding up?

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 4:27 pm
amother Wine wrote:
Two years ago we redid our pretty small kitchen due to a flood. We did it the cheapest possible way, with Formica counter tops and the cheapest decent looking kitchen possible. One dishwasher (which we had) two ovens (we only got one new) etc. It cost about $30k including the floor putting in a second sink, adding a small wall. The kitchen has totally fallen apart and did not last. Cabinets are chipped and the doors are always coming off. If you want your kitchen to last you’ll have to spend a lot more than we did…

Now you're scaring me
What type of cabinets did you get? Where did you get them?
How can I determine if I am getting junk??

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 4:49 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
Now you're scaring me

I didn’t want to say anything bec everyone was trying to say how cheap they did it but cabinets esp in a Jewish home goes through a lot of wear and tear. It’s worth it to spend extra money into quality cabinets and hinges etc

amother
Begonia

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 4:51 pm
I got a cheap kitchen and 2 years later it’s still beautiful. I went through kitchen USA they made kitchen layout needed no designer

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 4:52 pm
amother Sand wrote:
I didn’t want to say anything bec everyone was trying to say how cheap they did it but cabinets esp in a Jewish home goes through a lot of wear and tear. It’s worth it to spend extra money into quality cabinets and hinges etc

But money doesn't always equal quality. How can I know what I'm getting?

amother
Begonia

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 4:53 pm
amother Bronze wrote:

By asking people who redid kitchens that’s the only way

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 4:59 pm
amother Bronze wrote:

The kitchen place I got from had a cheaper Chinese line and a more expensive line from Canada. I spoke to them and to two people that I knew who did their kitchen. The Chinese line was chipped after 2-3 years. The Canadian line was much better quality. I’m 2 years into my kitchen and there’s not one ding or chip. It still looks brand new bh.

Amarante

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:15 pm
amother Bronze wrote:

Learn a bit about basic cabinet construction and then ask questions when you visit kitchen stores.

That’s what I did and so I learned what to ask and what to look for. I couldn’t build or install a cabinet if my life depended on it Very Happy but I know what to look for. What the pitfalls are of certain materials.

It is crazy to me that someone would spend $50,000 or more and not take a bit of time to be able to make intelligent choices.

I did a gut remodel of my kitchen just before the pandemic hit. Whatever you think it will cost will cost more. 🤷‍♀️ But everything is still in beautiful condition kinehora and so I don’t regret any of my choices.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 6:58 pm
Amarante wrote:
Learn a bit about basic cabinet construction and then ask questions when you visit kitchen stores.

That’s what I did and so I learned what to ask and what to look for. I couldn’t build or install a cabinet if my life depended on it Very Happy but I know what to look for. What the pitfalls are of certain materials.

It is crazy to me that someone would spend $50,000 or more and not take a bit of time to be able to make intelligent choices.

I did a gut remodel of my kitchen just before the pandemic hit. Whatever you think it will cost will cost more. 🤷‍♀️ But everything is still in beautiful condition kinehora and so I don’t regret any of my choices.

I tried doing some research and even called a bunch of kitchen places but I was left more confused than ever. I am looking for flat cabinets (acrylic? Laminate? Probably white glossy type, maybe a diff color) but I am unsure what to ask.

If you can give me a brief education I would be grateful

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 7:00 pm
amother Sand wrote:
I just did my kitchen for 90k. It’s mid level. I would say it will be about $50k if ur very careful

Are you in Lkwd? Where did you do it?

Amarante

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:20 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
I tried doing some research and even called a bunch of kitchen places but I was left more confused than ever. I am looking for flat cabinets (acrylic? Laminate? Probably white glossy type, maybe a diff color) but I am unsure what to ask.

What brands are you considering if you are going that route. Some name brands are higher quality than others and even within brands, they might have different quality levels.

Pricing can be deceptive as some brands cost extra for upgrades while they are standard in other brands.

Houzz is a better place to get help on kitchens and other home renovation issues as the forums are frequented by pros as well as very knowledgable helpful people

This is a link to the kitchen forum

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/kitchens

Some basic stuff on kitchen cabinet construction

https://aquakitchen.com/types-.....de-2/

https://www.cabinetcorp.com/20.....lity/

https://thymeandplacedesign.co.....best/

amother
Sand

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 7:50 am
amother Bronze wrote:
Are you in Lkwd? Where did you do it?

Yes. Express.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:06 am
amother Bronze wrote:

Laminate and acrylic cabinets will be frameless. You can ask about thickness of side panels, particle board vs plywood panels, slides and glides and hinges (what brand), construction details such as how are the pieces joined — dowels or staples or screws, hot glue or wood glue, clamped or not clamped ...

Unfortunately, if you are not a woodworker hobbyist, you really will need to depend on someone who knows more than you. I am a kitchen designer, and I see real differences in quality between higher end and less expensive brands.

amother
Blushpink

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 5:51 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
Thank you! How old is your kitchen? Is it holding up?

We just had it done in the summer, so far so good, only a few months old though.

But our calculation was that even if we’d possibly have to replace some doors down the line, it’s still worth it to save thousands of dollars.

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 5:29 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
Now you're scaring me

Another poster here.
My cabinets are 5 years old.
They were purchased from a Chinese place in Brooklyn and holding up quite well.
I have active children BH so it's not used delicately..

amother
Celeste

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 11:16 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
Another poster here.
My cabinets are 5 years old.
They were purchased from a Chinese place in Brooklyn and holding up quite well.
I have active children BH so it's not used delicately..

Can you please share which place you purchased them from?

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 12:08 pm
My kitchen is 5 yrs old. Got fabuwood which is from a frum kitchen store but low end. (Higher quality than Home Depot but cheapest in frum kitchen stores) it has been holding up well so far. I have active kids kh. This is Brooklyn.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries