Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Eczema - Neocate formula

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 3:52 pm
My baby has eczema that flared up a bit over past few days. My dr recommended using neocate which is a hypoallergenic formula.

Has anyone used this and saw relief in the eczema linking the eczema flare ups to milk?

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 4:13 pm
I tried but saw no improvement. Baby hated it and was a struggle to force feed it to him. I actually think it made his face worse, but not sure. If milk is a problem, I’d sorts try soy based formula, but soy wasn’t good for my baby either. It made him stomach pain

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 5:02 pm
I tried… my baby didn’t like neocate so I went to elecare. Baby likes it and eczema definitely improved. It’s manageable. I put balmex at night, and aquaphor and cerave by day… and it’s not terrible. Before it was inflamed and raw no matter what I put.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 5:02 pm
I would just do allergy testing and find out exactly what he's allergic to.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 5:08 pm
amother Burntblack wrote:
I tried… my baby didn’t like neocate so I went to elecare. Baby likes it and eczema definitely improved. It’s manageable. I put balmex at night, and aquaphor and cerave by day… and it’s not terrible. Before it was inflamed and raw no matter what I put.

Whats elecare ?

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 5:39 pm
I used the Neocate for allergies yes it helps but my baby drank it with sugar

bnm

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 5:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
Whats elecare ?

A different hypoallergenic formula.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:57 pm
Yes we used it and it helped.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 7:41 pm
For all of you who replied it helped:

Were the symptoms only eczema?
Does allergy run in your family?
Did they eventually outgrow the eczema?
How long were they of milk or did they outgrow the allergy?

amother
Mimosa

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 8:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
For all of you who replied it helped:

Were the symptoms only eczema?
Does allergy run in your family?
Did they eventually outgrow the eczema?
How long were they of milk or did they outgrow the allergy?

Neocate literally saved the lives of two of my children. They were extremly allergic to dairy to the point that their digestive systems were inflamed, raw and red.

The younger one wasn't as bad as we recognised the symptoms sooner because we were aware from his older brother.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 8:09 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
Neocate literally saved the lives of two of my children. They were extremly allergic to dairy to the point that their digestive systems were inflamed, raw and red.

The younger one wasn't as bad as we recognised the symptoms sooner because we were aware from his older brother.

How did you discover the milk allergy? Did he outgrow?

Uhum

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 8:15 pm
For the one who suggested allergy testing-
It is extremely inaccurate to do skin test or rast test on babies and young children
Every experienced allergist will tell you that
The debate as if a year and up or 18 months an opportunities and up gets a little more accurate but still not perfect

Op if you're open to holistic approach, try doing muscle testing or energy testing of any sort to find out what is the exact food trigger
It will help you pinpoint what the avoid

I have had children on neocate with great results
I would give it with sugar so they don't refuse it
I don't care wasn't sensitive enough for my kids and they reacted

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 8:27 pm
Uhum wrote:
It is extremely inaccurate to do skin test or rast test on babies and young children
The debate as if a year and up or 18 months an opportunities and up gets a little more accurate but still not perfect

Op if you're open to holistic approach, try doing muscle testing or energy testing of any sort to find out what is the exact food trigger

Nope, this is not true. I had an extremely experienced allergist (he was in his seventies!) test multiple infants of mine with accurate results. I'm talking about babies a month or two old. Allergy testing is not always perfectly accurate but it's a great first step.

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 8:35 pm
Uhum wrote:

Sorry but I disagree. You can’t know if a child is mildly sensitive to some food, but you can test the basics to see if there’s a significant reaction. My 2.5 month old was tested for 7 basic foods, and is highly allergic to eggs. He didn’t clear up once he was taken off eggs, but creams plus egg free diet definitely helped.

amother
Mimosa

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 8:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
How did you discover the milk allergy? Did he outgrow?

They had terribly runny diapers, constant with mucus and sometimes blood. I was using a dairy formula and despite feeding all the time they were miserable and losing weight.
The doctors were baffled because from the number of calories they were having it didn't make sense that they were losing.
Eventually we saw an excellent pediatric gastrointestinal who performed an endoscopy, colonoscopy and some biopsies which showed severe allergic colitis.
They started on Neocate and did beautifully on it despite it being their only nutrition until around age two.

One of them is still allergic to dairy, the other can have a little. We do allergy testing every so often and they are definitely getting more tolerant as time goes on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics