Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Lighting in frum homes (discovery during house-hunting)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:06 am
amother Amaranthus wrote:
I think it is. I’m still on the side of the tv theory. Somewhere around the 1950’s when tv became a big thing you worked during the day and watched tv till bed. You ate your Swanson’s tv dinner on a tv tray table. You used the dining room once a year when the Thanksgiving turkey didn’t fit on the folding tray table. Overhead lights were a nuisance and the dark brown faux wood paneling on the walls added to the cozy darkness. The eerie tv glow lit up the dust mites that floated lazily above the overstuffed sofa and dad’s recliner. Those were the good old days when wars were fought far away in Southeast Asia and we had real presidents like JFK and Nixon. The semi darkness was as American as baseball (it used to be a big thing) and apple pie.

Everything about this is a fantasy including "real" Presidents like Nixon or Kennedy.

What kind of crazy stuff are you watching or reading to think that this is an accurate representation of Americans?

Per my earlier comment up thread, it is these kinds of comments about how "secular" people live or act that leads me to believe that some people have actually had very little interaction with anyone outside their own very insular culture.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:08 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
A ceiling hanged fan with lightning over the dining room table?
Practical? Yes. Estetical? No. Tacky? Very.

I think some people admire the dormitory aesthetic. LOL LOL
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating