Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What do you give your son's rebbi for MM?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:58 pm
What looks presentable that won't break the bank? Especially since putting a check in too. My mother said a sparking wine and chocolate bar is fine but isn't that old fashioned?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:58 pm
That's totally fine

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:59 pm
I do sparkling grape juice and wafer rolls with a check. I figure they would rather have more money than a fancier mm.

up high

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:02 pm
This is exactly what I do yearly!
It's cost officiant, looks nice and presentable it is easy to prepare (can be done way in advance) and ez to carry.
(They have different rebbi's every year.)
I put a large sparkling grape juice, bar chocolate (I cover it with a homemade purim wrapper), and add candies in a mini organza bag, hanging from the bottle. I place it in a tall (organza) bag.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:06 pm
I give Bartenura Rose and some nice milchig chocolates and cash

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:07 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
I do sparkling grape juice and wafer rolls with a check. I figure they would rather have more money than a fancier mm.

Same here

Problem is we are really tight financially and the most I can afford is an $18 check. I'm so embarrassed. I'll write a card with it but it looks so dumb and cheap.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:09 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
Same here

Problem is we are really tight financially and the most I can afford is an $18 check. I'm so embarrassed. I'll write a card with it but it looks so dumb and cheap.

Give what you can and don't be embarrassed. It is super thoughtful of you to even give $18 when you are struggling. I don't give much more than that. There will always be people who give more and nothing I can do about that.

amother
Forsythia

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 7:36 am
amother Chicory wrote:
Same here

Why is that stupid?
That's $18 hard earned dollars
The $150-$350 checks are nice and truly helpful for the erev Yom Tov season but don't fill the salary gap and certainly certainly noone thinks 'only $18'
Your heartfelt words will go really far too

Rebbes do not sit and wait to check your culinary skills nor do they grade your mishloach manos
It's the heart that counts

People give a mix of home made or bought: wafer rolls babkas chocolate truffles chocolate bars nice bottle of liquor sparking grape juice wine

Be you Do you

Signed
Wife of Rebbe

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 7:37 am
I give a check not cash. I want the Rebbe to remember that I sent it.
I also give a random store bought mm, not my homemade one since I'm not sure they would appreciate it.

giftedmom

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 7:43 am
amother OP wrote:
What looks presentable that won't break the bank? Especially since putting a check in too. My mother said a sparking wine and chocolate bar is fine but isn't that old fashioned?

I would never send a glass bottle of wine with a kid lol. I did send wine when they’d go to the Rebbe’s house on Purim but they thankfully stopped that. I send a ready-made chocolate arrangement for like 15$. There are cheaper ones as well. The check is what counts.

amother
Latte

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 7:50 am
giftedmom wrote:
I would never send a glass bottle of wine with a kid lol. I did send wine when they’d go to the Rebbe’s house on Purim but they thankfully stopped that. I send a ready-made chocolate arrangement for like 15$. There are cheaper ones as well. The check is what counts.

It's the words you say (not the check) that counts!

amother
Freesia

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 7:53 am
If I’m sending to school I don’t send a real MM just a bar of chocolate or small pack or chocolate covered pretzels with an envelope taped to it. If I’m bringing it on Purim I’ll do a little more so it’s an actual MM but I try to limit the cost of the food so I can increase the check.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics