Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Good child Therapist for "big" problems

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:21 pm
I need a good therapist for a child we think its multiple issues ocd, Ed, anxiety . Would they go to a clinic? Any specific therapist? Someone exceptionly qualified. I will call relief but I know people that had bad experiences from their recommendations. I'm sure they suggest certain names. I want to hear from people's actual experience.

amother
Glitter

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:31 pm
Tzipora koslowitz is amazing

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 12:54 am
Thanks. Does she deal with all 3 issues? I'm afraid she will be overpriced for her famous name and overbooked. Child is only functioning at 50%. Desperate help needed now.

amother
Glitter

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 1:10 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. Does she deal with all 3 issues? I'm afraid she will be overpriced for her famous name and overbooked. Child is only functioning at 50%. Desperate help needed now.

I can’t say for sure to all three but I really think so. Might even be worth a consult with her even if you don’t continue long term. I do think I remember her having people working for her who are prob lower priced

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 1:18 am
She definitely specializes in OCD and anxiety, not sure about ED. She has associates working under/with her, so likely you wouldn't be paying her personal rates for weekly therapy. Although it's still full price therapy...

You may as well call her office and ask. And if you want your kid to start getting help fast, be clear about that because it took some time with me till everything fell into place there.

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 1:23 am
how about green meadows horse therapy in Lakewood? It can be life changing for many kids, but doesn’t work for all.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 1:44 am
Interesting no one suggested therapist in clinics. Are they not as good?
I'm actually scared child would resist therapy. All ideas welcome.

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 1:54 am
Whatever you do,

Make sure you don't go somewhere where it's just the kid having weekly sessions. They need to involve you too, on how you can help on the parenting side of things. I'm not sure if clinics do that or not.

Also if your nervous your child will resist, make sure you prioritize getting a therapist who is really good at connecting with kids, and have them focus only on building a relationship for at least the first few sessions.

Because therapy will be useless if your kid doesn't want it.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 2:10 am
For ed you need to have a therapist that specializes. I recommend speaking with devorah levinson at relief and looking into FBT

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 5:32 am
Sarala Hershkowitz specializes in anxiety and trauma with kids, ocd is an anxiety disorder so definitely try her.

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 6:23 am
amother Slategray wrote:
Sarala Hershkowitz specializes in anxiety and trauma with kids, ocd is an anxiety disorder so definitely try her.

I'll second this. Sarala is experienced and highly trained. She also has a great personality. She is so gentle and compassionate and has a way of getting thru to kids.
Hatzlocha

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 8:31 am
Who is Sarala Hershkowitz? Does she work privately or through one of the clinics? Anyone have contact information?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 8:58 am
How old is your child? Did these issues come on suddenly?
Sound like pans/pandas.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 9:08 am
We went the pans route, it definitely has a role, doesn't help a child who is in distress, not 100 percent functioning.

Please tell me more about Sara Hershowitz.

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 10:16 am
[quote=.

Please tell me more about Sara Hershowitz.[/quote]
She is trained in play therapy and music therapy. My husband is in the field and she is known to be great. I don't have personal therapy experience with her but a friend is seeing tremendous results with her.
She used to work for Empower (Yossi Schafer) but I think she works privately now.
732-654-6136
https://nefesh.org/profile/sarahtch16

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 10:22 am
My sister is a social worker, and she says that with big issues, sometimes it pays to see someone in a clinic, because they tend to get more supervision and a broader range of support and skills for the client. There's a whole approach to treating whatever is going on with the family and underlying issues that may be contributing. So just throwing that out there.

FYI I know Sarala Hershkowitz personally, as a friend not professional. She has tremendous training and skill in what she does, and is also a really nice person.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 11:28 am
Thank you for your perspective. I'm open to everything that gets good results. Do you know of such a therapist in clinic? Can you give specific examples in what ways a clinic would provide a family with more support?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 11:36 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for your perspective. I'm open to everything that gets good results. Do you know of such a therapist in clinic? Can you give specific examples in what ways a clinic would provide a family with more support?

LCSC and Chemed both have good therapists. It might be a good idea to speak to Relief and ask them who would be a good fit for your child. My sister has worked for one of these places, and I know they give parenting sessions/guidance, they have in-house psychiatrists that can treat a client if/when needed, and they sometimes offer certain extras (I know for example that before Pesach they have sometimes had funding that even sent a cleaning crew for a few hours to some of their clients.
If a therapist is out on maternity leave, they can assign a substitute therapist in the interim so you are not left hanging......). Biggest of all there is a level of case management there that you won't likely get from seeing someone private. Though sometimes a private therapist is what's needed! I'm not negating one over the other, just saying what my sis always says, there are pros and cons with each approach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries