Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Sternberg spinoff-memories!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 9:17 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
We showered in our bathing suits for 3 weeks straight TMI
I just recall the name Shira koeningsburg. I think she was pioneer dh. (I saw someone familiar looking at moisha's yesterday and got thinking if it could be her)

Yes!! Bathing suits lol!
I know shira. She lives in lakewood as far as I know.

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 9:19 am
amother OP wrote:
Some names I remember
Yocheved schiff- she had the most booming voice and would yell good shabbos camp Sternberg! and we would all hear it in that huge dining room!
Rivka Bauman- she was a dh in campus I think she’s now a big therapist
My jcs name in pioneers was Noga- for some reason I still remember that name lol
Chana shterna- I think she ran pioneers maybe rabbi greenwalds daughter?
Devorah Sisso- I think she’s still a big speaker. She gave these very inspiring speeches
Estie mosbacher-she was a singing counselor at some point. We all loved her and I remember her interesting last name.
Who headed heller? Was it Mrs ryback?

This is fun!
I’ll add a few names from 30 years ago-

Rivky millet
Shelly seif
Chayala eisenberg

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 9:34 am
amother Lightpink wrote:
This is fun!
I’ll add a few names from 30 years ago-

Rivky millet
Shelly seif
Chayala eisenberg

Chana Shterna is definitely Rabbi Greenwald's (youngest) daughter.
My days pioneer dh's were Lauren, Carmel can't remember all of them but I think many came from Neve, and had probably been girls scouts. We truly roughed it up. I remember one chopping down trees with an axe. Our waitress supervisor was Lesley Baker, p-I-z-z-a Lesley all the way, hay! She truly psyched us up to win the Machanayim game against Heller by offering us Pizza. We left the Heller girls in tears - there were really a much better team and had spent so many hours practicing - but CSG was our captain and she was an the most talented Machanayim player.

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 9:36 am
amother Goldenrod wrote:
Chana Shterna is definitely Rabbi Greenwald's (youngest) daughter.
My days pioneer dh's were Lauren, Carmel can't remember all of them but I think many came from Neve, and had probably been girls scouts. We truly roughed it up. I remember one chopping down trees with an axe. Our waitress supervisor was Lesley Baker, p-I-z-z-a Lesley all the way, hay! She truly psyched us up to win the Machanayim game against Heller by offering us Pizza. We left the Heller girls in tears - there were really a much better team and had spent so many hours practicing - but CSG was our captain and she was an the most talented Machanayim player.

Omg! I remember Leslie baker!!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 9:49 am
Is csg Chaya sara Goldstein?? I have a vague memory if such a person lol. Very sporty dark hair

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 9:59 am
amother OP wrote:
Is csg Chaya sara Goldstein?? I have a vague memory if such a person lol. Very sporty dark hair

Chana Shterna Greenwald:-)

I wonder how many people we're mentioning are here???

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:13 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
Chana Shterna Greenwald:-)

I wonder how many people were mentioning are here???

Absolutely!
I am pretty sure I remember Chana Shterna too.
Coming from MO OOT where yiddish names were not the norm, it was the first time I had heard yiddish names like Shterna, Pia, etc.

thriver

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 11:08 am
amother Lightgreen wrote:
Who remembers a mouse being given cpr in heller? The big tank in the yard because watervwas shut off...nits and lice scare.....Hamalach Hagoel with Uncle Moishy.....Concert with Kinneret....Shabbos plays.....Kumzitz......

Yes!! Anna gave the mouse CPR!! Such good memories…!!!

amother
Junglegreen

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 11:11 am
I remember the big tank in the yard because we couldn’t use the water! Best shower all summer!!!

amother
Lightpink

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 11:12 am
Where is pia these days?
I’m thinking that when I was a teen she was probably in her 40’s? Now I’m 51…

thriver

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 11:19 am
amother IndianRed wrote:
Sternberg never had a camp mother (and still doesn’t) but she probably took on some of those responsibilities

There was once…! I was in Sternberg for years and I only remember one year of a camp mother. Maybe it was unofficial because her husband was a doctor working in the infirmary. I can’t remember her name but unfortunately she passed away young. Special lady.

thriver

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 11:41 am
I miss camp Sternberg! “You are my sunshine my only sunshine…!” I went from freshies till counselor! (I missed two summers in middle but otherwise went straight through).

Such good memories. Sternberg is such a big part of who I am today.

I was there in the mid 90s through early 2000s. You all brought back such good memories!

I think there was a special kiddush for the girls who came from public school when they chose Hebrew names. And the special bas mitzvah kiddush (I think that’s what is was called) for girls who were in camp for 12 years! (I missed that by 4 years…!)

I actually recently met a former camper of mine—she was in Sophies back then and she was all grown up with kids of her own…!

Remember that it was considered less than to be a campus counselor than pioneers?? I was not a woodsy kind of girl and I loved working with younger kids. I was thrilled to be in campus but there definitely was a status feel for those who got pioneering jobs.

I remember the cheering that went on when they announced that they would no longer be having the HELP bunk. My friend who had been a HELP girl was relieved. Was a little intense… had them spread themselves out during mealtimes so they could mingle with us lower level Heller girls… 🙄

It’s funny that at the same time as all the inclusion and no external divisions—public school girls to Kollel families, wealthy, poor, no one knew the difference but there were definitely hierarchies in some of the camp culture…

First half versus knee-hi socks and button down collared yeshivish second half (what did second halfers think of first??)

Shabbos chain was so special. We walked in a chain from the Shabbos Shul to the dining room. Such a feeling of achdus. Just good healthy fun.

There will never be a man like Rabbi Greenwald. When I read an article about him, it hardly even mentioned camp Sternberg! He did so much for the world. Sternberg was only a small part.

Sternberg is the place to be…!!

amother
DarkOrange

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 11:46 am
yup to all that!
Remind me, what was HELP? Sounds so familiar but can't remember what it was.
(As a second halfer all my years, we did consider first half the more modern half although obviously not everyone. I had good friends that went 1st half. I mean 6 weeks instead of 3! literally double the time!)

amother
IndianRed

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 12:53 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
Where is pia these days?
I’m thinking that when I was a teen she was probably in her 40’s? Now I’m 51…

She and her husband now live with her daughter Chashie. Chashie still runs the kesher program in sternberg

amother
Lightpink

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 1:49 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
She and her husband now live with her daughter Chashie. Chashie still runs the kesher program in sternberg

Wow… I remember when Chashie was single and her mother took care of her! Life…
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics