Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Taking away someone's pesach cleaning help - spin off
Previous  1  2  3

giftedmom

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 2:00 pm
amother Yellow wrote:
Many of them are working as hard as they can and sending money to their children who are still in another country. Their values are THEIR family, not yours, and it's not surprising. I might do the same in their situation, if I could save my family suffering, I'd drop any ideas of employer loyalty and do what's best for my kids.

Yes sure whatever the reasons are they are not the same as a salaried contracted employee

giftedmom

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 2:03 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
And you would give her a raise if she asked for one? Rather than throwing her out and taking someone cheaper? Because that's the way they are treated in general. So good for them that there is at least one season where they can call the shots.

Most of us would give that raise if we could. I have given more than one. They always call the shots.

Golde

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 2:10 pm
patzer wrote:
That's a good analogy.
I work in a school. Suppose one day another school approaches me and offers me more money or better working conditions, and I decide to accept the offer. I would feel obligated to give my current employer a reasonable amount of notice. Quitting suddenly would put them in a difficult position, and I would surely expect them to be furious with me (and rightly so)!
I would also be completely honest about why I was leaving (no stories about an imaginary relative's illness). And finally, I wouldn't expect to be able to demand my old job back when my new job is cutting hours.
There's a right way to do things, and a wrong way.

Yes, and the right way is to make a written contract when hiring someone and do things on the books.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 2:22 pm
There is a level of basic decency in any regular work even when it’s unofficial. It’s rude of anyone to take away someone’s teacher, cleaning lady, babysitter, bnos leader, lifeguard, etc if they know that someone relies on them. There is nothing wrong with asking your regular lady for extra hours or approaching random cleaning ladies who advertise. There is something extremely selfish of taking someone from your neighbor.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 3:54 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Their wants and needs are money money money. They are mostly illegal immigrants working for cash. And no they have no compunctions about leaving people high and dry for another few dollars. That’s just the reality.

They value putting food on the table more than their employers need to make Pesach, probably true.

giftedmom

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 4:08 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
They value putting food on the table more than their employers need to make Pesach, probably true.

Potato potahto

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 5:02 pm
Golde wrote:
Yes, and the right way is to make a written contract when hiring someone and do things on the books.

Except that if you are only willing to hire a cleaning lady with a contract that will rule out 90% of people and make it impossible to find someone.

octopus

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 5:06 pm
The contract protects the worker more than the employer

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 12:59 am
amother Pink wrote:
If it’s possible to do so, then that is the correct way to do it

But If someone offers you a job with much better pay or working conditions that will change your livelihood- with the condition that you start immediately- are you really going to turn it down so you can be nice to your current employer and make it a little less stressful for them than have you leave without notice? Especially considering if it was reversed (your were being fired), there is typically not any notice whatsoever (or honest answers for that matter)

Of course the new offer needs to be turned down if it's in the middle of the school year!
All teachers working for professional schools sign yearly contracts, and I think it's the wrong thing to leave a school (and her students!) completely stranded in the middle of the school year!
For the upcoming school year? No problem (just give notice to the old school as soon as possible!)

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:49 am
giftedmom wrote:
Their wants and needs are money money money. They are mostly illegal immigrants working for cash. And no they have no compunctions about leaving people high and dry for another few dollars. That’s just the reality.

Do you work or know anyone who does? Why else do people work if not to have a roof over their head and their children's heads, put food in the table, and pay for family expenses? I have no clue how you try to spin this as a bad thing.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 3:13 am
giftedmom wrote:
Yes sure whatever the reasons are they are not the same as a salaried contracted employee

Then you are more than welcome to hire a salaried, contracted agency. But don't complain that it costs more than twice the amount. As a legal worker, their salary needs to cover things like insurance and marketing, and you need to pay their FICA and possibly other taxes.

You are choosing to hire an illegal immigrant because you value cheap labor over legality and contractual obligations. Don't be upset that they value making more money for their families over loyalty to a specific employer.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette