Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Employee discount/getting paid back

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:18 am
I work in a store. I recently bought myself a very expensive item, and I used my generous employee discount. The discount is meant only for employees buying something for themselves, it’s not a friends and family discount. After I bought it, someone wanted to buy it for me, so they gave me the amount of money I paid for it. What do I do now? Should I tell my boss that someone else ended up paying? Is this a halachic question? Should I ask a rav?

amother
Green

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:20 am
No, you’re overthinking.

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 12:24 pm
It was bought and paid for by an employee for her own use. The fact that someone then gave you money because they wanted to buy you the same thing is irrelevant. They didn't use your discount to buy a gift; they gave you a monetary gift because you already had the item they were planning to buy.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 12:55 pm
I wouldn't be worried with regard to your boss. However I would ask a shaila in regards to the person who wanted to gift me the item. They weren't looking to give you, say, $1000. They were looking to give you the money to buy the item. If the item is available to you at a lower price, I personally, would ask to make sure there isn't a question of dishonesty.

JasmineDragon

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:15 pm
amother Tan wrote:
I wouldn't be worried with regard to your boss. However I would ask a shaila in regards to the person who wanted to gift me the item. They weren't looking to give you, say, $1000. They were looking to give you the money to buy the item. If the item is available to you at a lower price, I personally, would ask to make sure there isn't a question of dishonesty.

I think you misunderstood - OP said the person who wanted to buy her the item gave her the money she paid, as in, the discounted amount. Her question is if that's a misuse of the employee discount.

OP, I think it's fine. You bought yourself an item with the discount, and then someone gifted you money.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:06 pm
It wouldn't occur to me to ask. Of course it's ok

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:27 pm
I would ask to be sure. But I have a very guilty conscious and would never wana steal a penny 🤷🏻‍♀️
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette