Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Looking for school for my 5 yr old son NY

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:47 pm
Who has some behavioral issues like emotional regulation but it’s not too bad. We looked at a school and I was so turned off by the solitary confinement room they have on each floor for when the kids misbehave. Bh our son doesn’t have such severe issues and he’s so little so it can definitely turn around with the right environment. The school he’s in now thinks he’ll benefit from a special school for a yr or two because he tantrums a few times a day and it’s not acceptable to do in kindergarten for sure not in p1a next yr.

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:54 pm
Call Yahalom a project of Agudas Yisroel

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:59 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
Call Yahalom a project of Agudas Yisroel

Do they help kids with behavioral issues like tantruming stay in a regular Jewish school but with services?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 10:55 pm
Tx. I’ll call them in the morning to see if they cater to this type of problem solving.
Anyone else have any suggestions?

tzavei_yeshuos

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:03 pm
Are you in the NYC/LI area? Are you part of the SN what’s app group? I’ve made some good contacts to get insider school info through there…

PM me for more info (my son is also turning 5….this year has been a journey)

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
Who has some behavioral issues like emotional regulation but it’s not too bad. We looked at a school and I was so turned off by the solitary confinement room they have on each floor for when the kids misbehave. Bh our son doesn’t have such severe issues and he’s so little so it can definitely turn around with the right environment. The school he’s in now thinks he’ll benefit from a special school for a yr or two because he tantrums a few times a day and it’s not acceptable to do in kindergarten for sure not in p1a next yr.

Good for you!! A confinement room is horrible. That being said, have you had him properly evaluated? Please do so, it will help wherever he ends up in the future best serve him.

amother
Phlox

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:34 pm
It’s hard to say it’s a right fit for your child , but Gesher Yehuda in Brooklyn on ave T and west 12th is a special ed school smaller classes

Goldie613

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 12:24 am
I don't know where exactly in NY you are, so it's hard to give specific suggestions, but NYC has a number of special needs programs, depending on what's needed.

I second another poster about the importance of an evaluation - if it is just a minor behavioral issue, a regular yeshiva with additional supports may be fine. If it is a more significant issue where your little one is likely to need a lot of educational help besides the behavioral piece, a program that provides those services may be more what you are looking for.

Have you spoken with anyone at Tafkid? They are based in Brooklyn and they provide support and information to parents of special needs kids. Their number is (718) 252-2236
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics