Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
How to collect Tzadaka in US from Israel

basmelech2

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 5:36 am
I have a friend from Israel who called me to tell me one of their friends doesn’t have money to marry off and was given a free ticket to NY to go collect. All he was told was to “go to Lakewood”
He has no idea where he would stay what he would do and how to collect.. and tbh neither do I, any help or lead?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 5:43 am
He should please get in touch with this Rabbi asap and how to deal with it.

care4u

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 5:49 am
He probably needs an ishur from tomchei tzedaka or similar. I think some people hire drivers who tell them that they know which house is to take them to but then willl keep 30% of whatever they make.

I really don't know anything about that being on the other side of the door, but I can advise that:
1) collectors that come in groups get way less money or no money at all. We have stopped answering the door for groups because we can give 18 or 50 to 1 but not to five or six.
2) please do not collect past 8/8:30 especially in young neighborhoods unless you were given an appointment.
3) if someone doesn't answer their door after you knock or ring once or twice, please don't bang or ring the bell another three times or even worse find a different door and then bang on that one and ring that Bell five or six times.
4) If someone does open the door and give you money, never, ever tell them you want more. Whether it's $18 or $100. And if they send you a kid with a $1,5,10 bill don't demand to see a parent! There are times that I'm nursing and I can't get to the door and yet I take the time to tell my kids to find some cash in my wallet so that I don't have to turn someone away empty-handed and they refuse the money and they demand to see a parent and this has happened multiple times! If I was able to I would come to the door. At 7 pm I am busy. You think that I'm not going to remember when you come back that you were the person that refused the cash & scared my kid. But I do.

Because of the things above that have all been happening to us, we no longer open the door to people that are collecting. I'm telling you these things as advice so that other people continue to open their doors.

Wishing him much hatzlacha.

basmelech2

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 9:27 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
He should please get in touch with this Rabbi asap and how to deal with it.

Thanks which rabbi are you referring to?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 9:37 am
basmelech2 wrote:

His own rabbi

saltandvinegar

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 10:29 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
His own rabbi

How would that be helpful for an Israeli Rabbi to know protocol in America?

Mommyflower

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:27 am
I would also caution against having kids open the door and deal with people collecting tzedakah. My brother's Rabbi, who is a very generous person, let people in who were collecting tzedakah. Two men appearing fully frum rang, and one asked to use the bathroom. While the other spoke with the Rabbi, the one who was supposed to be using the bathroom cased the house and stole money and small objects. The group was later arrested after pulling the same act with other frum households. I would be concerned for the safety of children even beyond stealing.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:12 am
basmelech2 wrote:

The Rabbi who gave him the ticket?

Greenapple

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 10:54 am
My cousin collected a lot in Toronto. Said the ppl were very generous.

justmarried:)

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 10:58 am
I do not open my door to these collectors when my husband isn't home. I don't feel comfortable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics