Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
New to Mishpacha, catch me up
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:35 pm
off topic: Did you like the article last week about having pets in the house:? like dogs, cats, etc. Is that a something frum people should be encouraged to have?

Odelyah

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:38 pm
I have utmost respect for actual high standards, including but not limited to the following examples, some of which I don't keep myself but have only admiration for those who do: Cholov Yisroel, Pas Yisroel, Yoshon, being ready for shabbos by chatzos, or some other early time, keeping Rabbeinu Tam's zman for ending shabbos, not selling chometz gamur, only eating shmura matza, women who daven maariv, men who never ever miss a minyan.. or who daven k'vasikin

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:50 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
off topic: Did you like the article last week about having pets in the house:? like dogs, cats, etc. Is that a something frum people should be encouraged to have?

IT wasn't about having pets in the house. It was more about the idea of therapy animals. In a clinic or therapist office, ranch, etc..

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:54 pm
Odelyah wrote:
I have utmost respect for actual high standards, including but not limited to the following examples, some of which I don't keep myself but have only admiration for those who do: Cholov Yisroel, Pas Yisroel, Yoshon, being ready for shabbos by chatzos, or some other early time, keeping Rabbeinu Tam's zman for ending shabbos, not selling chometz gamur, only eating shmura matza, women who daven maariv, men who never ever miss a minyan.. or who daven k'vasikin

Are you saying you don't think not looking at women's pictures is a high standard?
To be clear, I am not in agreement with publications omitting womens tznius pictures. It bothers me a lot. But that has nothing to do with how I think a man himself should behave. I do think it's a higher standard for a man to avoid looking at women and women pictures. I just think that should be on each man to deal with. Ladies shouldn't be omitted because of that.

Odelyah

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:12 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:

Like another poster said, the teen serials are great too -they started a new one this week.

I also really liked the one that ended recently, "Upper Class", and was glad to hear Ariella Schiller was starting a new one. But I missed getting a copy this week and I don't see it anywhere on the website. Does anyone have a link to the first chapter? The ad said it's called "Who's Counting".

Ima_Shelli

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:14 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
Men aren't allowed to look at women (who aren't directly related to them).
Reb Moshe in Igros Moshe Orach Chaim ch. 1 siman 40 writes in a tshuva to be careful not to look at a woman's face even when talking to give her a halachic ruling.

If you think it's superficial stupidities then you just don't understand how men work...

We should all wear niqabs in that case and also never leave our homes, lest these poor men sin.

Odelyah

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:24 pm
amother Peony wrote:
Are you saying you don't think not looking at women's pictures is a high standard?
To be clear, I am not in agreement with publications omitting womens tznius pictures. It bothers me a lot. But that has nothing to do with how I think a man himself should behave. I do think it's a higher standard for a man to avoid looking at women and women pictures. I just think that should be on each man to deal with. Ladies shouldn't be omitted because of that.

No, I agree that a man avoiding looking at pictures of random women, or gazing/staring at live women is a high standard. Men who interact with modest women in an appropriate setting, but completely avoid eye contact altogether, is tricky because many women find it demeaning.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 11:14 pm
When I am on Imamother, I block certain forums. I might later go to those forums and read them, but I do so more cautiously. I don't like large amounts of titles that I don't want to see, especially when I'm not prepared.

I can understand a man wanting the same from a magazine. When he reads for relaxation, he doesn't want to have to constantly be on guard not to look at certain pictures (if he has such a chumra).

In my mind, the best way of handling it is to have women's pictures in Family First. Any man who chooses to open it knows that he should be careful if he doesn't generally look at photos of females. But the main magazine should be a "safe" place even for men with this chumra.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 11:30 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:

If there's an article about the halachic issues with Starbucks and a sidebar of what and how to order drinks, do you also take that as Mishpacha encouraging us all to get Starbucks?

Mishpacha is writing about things that affect frum people, even a minority. I enjoy reading articles about topics that don't personally affect me.

amother
Charcoal

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 2:05 am
amother Moccasin wrote:
If you simply "don't agree" then the responses would be a lot more friendly. Attacks mean that the attacker feels threatened - well, what are you feeling threatened by? If you think I have a belief that is a perversion of Jewish theology, why would that bother you so strongly? So there's one more person in the world believing something wrong, big deal.
Maybe it's because if you admit it's a high standard it makes you feel guilty...?

Nice try at shutting down the coversation but it won't work.
conceptually framing any pushback as 'Attacks' and then defining all attacks at secret belief in YOUR approach is a shut down method and not an engagment in conversation.
Its like the high school teacher that shuts down all questions by telling her students that questions point to "Problems in Emuna"....
Don't stoop that low amother Moccasin

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 2:22 am
amother Seagreen wrote:
LOL LOL LOL

amother
Mintgreen

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 3:18 am
and what about the non tznius pictures and the borderline tznius pictures. What are the guidelines going to be? Lower neckline out? Long sheitel out? Full face of makeup out? What about ads with pics of women?
The guidelines are going to get a little blurry and it's tricky to say yes to one pic and no to another pic.

I wouldn't want my jewish magazine to have clothing or makeup ads with pics of women in them. Think about what that would look like.
Why do you think we have machitzas at shul, simchas, events etc even if no dancing? Because the women are dressed to the nines and it should not be in the men's faces the entire time.

I don't think it's "not jewish" to have pics of women but it's very very hard to start making the guidelines...

amother
Mintgreen

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 3:22 am
Besides, I don't know if you've noticed but a lot of the Jewish clothing companies are not making tznius clothing - the necklines don't cover the collarbone, the dresses are skin tight, the skirts don't cover the knees. This is the standard. I'm not the most tznius person but I shudder to think of an ad in a frum magazine featuring a women wearing some of the clothes that I've tried on. no thanks

Odelyah

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 8:29 am
I think they can easily draw a line, ie no clothing ads with women models, or no ads with full body pics, at least not in the main mishpacha. But to leave out the women in historical photos, or a modestly dressed presidential candidate while including pics of all the males.. Or the tzanua inspiring subject of a whole article, like the woman who makes the dyes, etc. or even a great rebbetzin! In the women's magazine! It's so extreme and off. Or an ad for a program with speakers with small headshots of all the male speakers and blank spaces or silhouette shapes for the females. ugh. either have no pictures or include the female speakers. But don't do this.

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 1:56 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
Nice try at shutting down the coversation but it won't work.
conceptually framing any pushback as 'Attacks' and then defining all attacks at secret belief in YOUR approach is a shut down method and not an engagment in conversation.
Its like the high school teacher that shuts down all questions by telling her students that questions point to "Problems in Emuna"....
Don't stoop that low amother Moccasin

Pushback is fine when it's respectful. Once it becomes attacking that's a sign that there's more going on than simple disagreement.
Why am I not entitled to my opinion? I think you're entitled to yours.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room