Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How do you give probiotics powder?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 11:26 pm
I tried it dissolved with water in a syringe, but baby was spitting it out.
Then I tried giving the powder by dipping my finger in it and baby licking. That works great, but then I read on the bottle to not give powder directly.

So what’s the best way? (Baby doesn’t really take a bottle and anyway have to mix it with room temp liquid).

Baby is almost 5 months old.

Tia!

Edited not really spitting, more like dribbling because of thin consistency I think.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 11:44 pm
My babies take bottles so I put it in there

Lovable

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 11:47 pm
Get the liquid drops probiotic
Baby will need like 5 drips
It's easy

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:22 am
I breastfed, so I expressed a little milk, mixed it with the powder and used my finger and put into baby's mouth

edited- I can't remember if I put it with my finger or maybe gave her to drink from the cup

newinbp

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:24 am
I’ve heard of people sprinkling a tiny bit of the powder in baby’s mouth

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:39 am
newinbp wrote:
I’ve heard of people sprinkling a tiny bit of the powder in baby’s mouth

So that’s my question- is it ok?
Baby likes it, but company seems to warn against it (based on my understanding on instructions)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:41 am
Lovable wrote:
Get the liquid drops probiotic
Baby will need like 5 drips
It's easy

I’ll look into the drops for next time. I asked health food store for a refluxy baby- and this is what they recommended. Maybe they are different strains?

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:42 am
I also was told that the powder is more effective, possibly by the same health food store Smile so I went with that

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:42 am
amother Clear wrote:
I breastfed, so I expressed a little milk, mixed it with the powder and used my finger and put into baby's mouth

edited- I can't remember if I put it with my finger or maybe gave her to drink from the cup

How old was baby that cup was a possibility?
Also, my biggest issue is- which is what happened with syringe- she dribbled out so much that felt she wasn’t getting the dose. Im afraid same thing will happen with ebm.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:43 am
amother Clear wrote:
I also was told that the powder is more effective, possibly by the same health food store Smile so I went with that

Or it just is more effective Smile

Where’d you buy?

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:52 am
amother OP wrote:
Or it just is more effective Smile

Where’d you buy?

I bought in a store in Lkwd. I didn't mean I didn't believe them...

I can't remember exactly when I did it that way with the cup. I'm now thinking I may have expressed some milk and sorry to be graphic but kind of put the powder onto me with the little bit of milk so she got it when she nursed. Does that make sense? It wasn't so recent so I can't remember exactly

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:56 am
amother Clear wrote:
I bought at the health food store by seagull square in lakewood. I didn't mean I didn't believe them...

I can't remember exactly when I did it that way with the cup. I'm now thinking I may have expressed some milk and sorry to be graphic but kind of put the powder onto me with the little bit of milk so she got it when she nursed. Does that make sense? It wasn't so recent so I can't remember exactly

I’m far from Lakewood lol!

Remembering now that I read you can put powder on nipples so baby gets it when sucking. I’m honestly not seeing the difference then with me putting it on finger and baby licking What but I just don’t understand why they would say not to give powder directly??

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 1:01 am
amother OP wrote:

Remembering now that I read you can put powder on nipples so baby gets it when sucking. I’m honestly not seeing the difference then with me putting it on finger and baby licking What but I just don’t understand why they would say not to give powder directly??

Lol about being far from lakewood. Maybe it could be breathed in or something and make baby cough?? or not absorb as well?? no idea. I wonder if you can ask the health food store if they know why...

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 1:03 am
amother OP wrote:

Thanks for starting this thread I had the same question. Maybe it's like taking medicine with food? So if you put it on the finger not necessarily every time does that mean you'll also feed the baby?

Either way I'm going to put on nipples when nursing.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 1:15 am
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
Thanks for starting this thread I had the same question. Maybe it's like taking medicine with food? So if you put it on the finger not necessarily every time does that mean you'll also feed the baby?

Either way I'm going to put on nipples when nursing.

Doubt it. On the contrary, my understanding is that probiotics is better without food. In any case my baby is a big sucker and rarely goes 1 1/2 hrs without a snack… (at most like 3 hrs during the night)
And I do think her reflux plays a role, so eager to see if probiotics will help…

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 1:16 am
amother Clear wrote:
Lol about being far from lakewood. Maybe it could be breathed in or something and make baby cough?? or not absorb as well?? no idea. I wonder if you can ask the health food store if they know why...

The breathing in theory makes sense.
I should ask the health food store, but lazier to call than ask mommies who actually do this Smile LOL

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 1:32 am
My guess would be that it's to warn you not to give them a spoonful of powder, which could cause choking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics