Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How can I keep cut soup veggies?

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:06 pm
I want to prep ahead for purim seuda soup by cutting the veggies now and then just adding water on Purim morning. It's 3 days away. Is it too early to do that, and if not how can I keep them fresh? Would Ziploc bags work or do they need to breathe?

613mitzvahgirl

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:12 pm
I think you can wrap them in paper towels and then place in ziplock bags and make sure that there’s no room for air to escape.. I saw this once on a YouTube cooking show..

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:13 pm
What type of soup. Soup usually lasts several days. I like to make soup and refrigerate in the coldest place in your fridge. Raw veggies have to be kept seal for best results. It's hard to keep moist and prevent from wilting.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:25 pm
Classic chicken soup. I can't make the soup in advance because I don't have enough fridge space for it - I need a lot. I would like to put it up purim morning and let it simmer until the meal, but I won't have time to do all the prep on purim.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:26 pm
seeker wrote:
Classic chicken soup. I can't make the soup in advance because I don't have enough fridge space for it - I need a lot. I would like to put it up purim morning and let it simmer until the meal, but I won't have time to do all the prep on purim.

You can store them in cold water in a ziploc bag.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:26 pm
I just peeled mine too. Keep each type in its own bag, with air pressed out. (When they're stored together, they start going off from the mix of juices.) Add a paper towel to something moist like zucchini.

(If it's just being prepped night before- can all be stored together. But if leaving for 2.5 days- they need to be kept separate. )

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Mar 21 2024, 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:46 pm
The onion be careful not to cut off the head cuz then you cant leave it to use the next day. The rest of the veggies just put them all in a bag together (no onion) I keep it in the drawer. I've done it a few times. I actually prepped veggies for 2 pots on a Thursday. One I used that Thursday the other I just put it in a bag (sans onion) and in the fridge drawer. Took it out next Thursday it was so fresh I was totally surprised. Rinsed and cooked a delicous soup. It helped the the veggies were super fresh the week before.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:48 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
The onion be careful not to cut off the head cuz then you cant leave it to use the next day. The rest of the veggies just put them all in a bag together (no onion) I keep it in the drawer. I've done it a few times. I actually prepped veggies for 2 pots on a Thursday. One I used that Thursday the other I just put it in a bag (sans onion) and in the fridge drawer. Took it out next Thursday it was so fresh I was totally surprised. Rinsed and cooked a delicous soup. It helped the the veggies were super fresh the week before.

Can I put a cut onion in the fridge?

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:54 pm
justforfun87 wrote:

It has to be mixed with something else like water or oil.

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 11:07 pm
I buy the pre-cut soup veggies and freeze half in a Ziploc bag. When I'm ready to make soup, I just dump the frozen veggies in the water and cook. Comes out delicious.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 11:20 pm
justforfun87 wrote:

Need to sprinkle it with salt (or oil).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen