Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Went to nursing school at 54. Ask me anything.
Previous  1  2

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 2:37 am
I know Daylily doesn’t like geriatric, but before everyone writes it off, I love my geriatric population. I am a Dietitian, not an RN, so I don’t do any lifting at all, and it is different, but as I said, I do love my old people.

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:45 am
You are an inspiration!

justforfun87

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:55 am
Not to go off on a tangent but Israeli nursing and American nursing is very very different. I am hoping to make Aliyah and tbh will probably leave the nursing field after hearing how hard it is to transfer license, how bad the pay is, and how hard they work the nurses.

dochesed

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 10:15 am
I'm very proud of you, Chana Miriam, especially since I returned to Nurse Practitioner school in my fifties. It's a 4 year program. I had originally gotten by RN when I had 5 small kids. It was difficult.
Hatzlacha

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 10:20 am
justforfun87 wrote:
Not to go off on a tangent but Israeli nursing and American nursing is very very different. I am hoping to make Aliyah and tbh will probably leave the nursing field after hearing how hard it is to transfer license, how bad the pay is, and how hard they work the nurses.

If you work a few night shifts at the hospital, you can make a good salary.

2 nights + 3 evenings a week at a hospital will get you about 14,000₪ take home per month, which is a good salary. I wouldn't recommend that if you have kids, but if you don't have kids yet or your kids are grown it can be a good deal. I knew a nurse who made 20,000₪/month at Hertzilia Medical Center by often pulling double shifts. She had no children at that time.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 5:29 pm
zaq wrote:
You are an inspiration!

I’m always torn between inspiring and insane lol!

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 5:31 pm
justforfun87 wrote:

This is a tangent since it has nothing to do with being a Canadian 56 year old RPN who is getting a bachelor’s. Seems like this might be more appropriate in an Aliyah forum.

I like geriatrics and don’t intend to work bedside.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 5:33 pm
dochesed wrote:
I'm very proud of you, Chana Miriam, especially since I returned to Nurse Practitioner school in my fifties. It's a 4 year program. I had originally gotten by RN when I had 5 small kids. It was difficult.
Hatzlacha

Thank you so much! I wish I’d known earlier this was my thing. We need me to make money ASAP rather than go back to school but if I’d done this thirty years ago, I’d probably have been an NP in primary care. Unless we have some sort of windfall, no grad school anytime soon for me.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 5:34 pm
amother Daylily wrote:
If you work a few night shifts at the hospital, you can make a good salary.

2 nights + 3 evenings a week at a hospital will get you about 14,000₪ take home per month, which is a good salary. I wouldn't recommend that if you have kids, but if you don't have kids yet or your kids are grown it can be a good deal. I knew a nurse who made 20,000₪/month at Hertzilia Medical Center by often pulling double shifts. She had no children at that time.

Maybe in an Aliyah forum. I’m in Canada.

dochesed

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 5:42 pm
I definitely hear you, CM. I also worked for many years before I went on to Grad school. I don’t know how it is in Canada, but here the policy was I couldn’t start the NP program without first working at least two years in my area. Which of course I had.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 5:43 pm
dochesed wrote:
I definitely hear you, CM. I also worked for many years before I went on to Grad school. I don’t know how it is in Canada, but here the policy was I couldn’t start the NP program without first working at least two years in my area. Which of course I had.

Two years plus masters plus certification as np which I think is a year. You can work on masters while getting two years experience. I will probably get a masters at some point but I think np is beyond this lifetime.

dochesed

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 6:02 pm
I was very fortunate that my employer picked up the tab for 50% of the tuition.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 6:03 pm
dochesed wrote:
I was very fortunate that my employer picked up the tab for 50% of the tuition.

Very fortunate indeed! Where do you work?

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 7:50 pm
How did you respond to people who discouraged you?

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 8:18 pm
Are you working now while going from RN to bsn?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 8:22 pm
How did/do you manage all the standing?

I am younger than you and it would do me in.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 1:13 am
amother Candycane wrote:
How did you respond to people who discouraged you?

I don’t really recall anyone discouraging me. Asking questions, not believing what I was thinking of doing because it sounded nuts… no one really discouraged me tho

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 1:14 am
amother Azure wrote:
Are you working now while going from RN to bsn?

Actually rpn to BSCN! I am but not in a clinical nursing job. Technically its nursing adjacent but I’m the Balabusta in a Jewish ltc 😀

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 1:16 am
amother Vermilion wrote:
How did/do you manage all the standing?

I am younger than you and it would do me in.

I have zero issue with a 12 hour shift. My twenty year old colleagues were broken but I was good. Haven’t done it since August but I’m sure if I have to I’ll be fine. My first placement was a 12 day shift on Thursday and I’d come home and cook Shabbat lol!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics