Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Singing and playing music outside at 1am

chestnut

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 1:12 am
Isn't one of Purim mitzvos. A major chillul Hashem, in fact. There are many non Jews on the block. If someone is giving them drinks or hosting (can't see from my window), why not keep them all inside the house? Why do babies, little kids, elderly, and everyone else, really, have to suffer?
Have been going on for at least 40 mins.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:10 am
Totally agree. It is not a mitzvah.
And if you live in an apartment building please don't just loud parties at night!! Especially past 10!! Just no. I don't care that it is Purim- I have special needs kids who need to sleep. I have a baby who didn't sleep last night. I get migraines from not sleeping. Think of the non Jews and not frum people in your building and neighborhood.

Don't do an aveira while celebrating a chag.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:28 am
Please. Purim is once a year. Be tolerant.

chestnut

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:32 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
Please. Purim is once a year. Be tolerant.

Seriously? Tolerant of what, drunk boys not letting people sleep for no reason? Would you be as tolerant if roles were reversed and non Jews did it?
They finally stopped at 2am!! Absolutely disgusting.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:39 am
chestnut wrote:
Seriously? Tolerant of what, drunk boys not letting people sleep for no reason? Would you be as tolerant if roles were reversed and non Jews did it?
They finally stopped at 2am!! Absolutely disgusting.

The non jews in my area party the night away way more often then once a year.
Purim started very late this year. It's not disgusting that the music stopped at 2AM. It's ok. It's once a year.

GLUE

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:39 am
I lived in a place where non-Jews would have fireworks starting from May and the whole night July 4th and New Years night parties.

I tolerated it because, what can you expect from non-Jews?
Now I heard fireworks for about a month and it is much worse because we should know better. Thank fully the fireworks stopped tonight at about 12:00 where I live.

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:43 am
amother Mustard wrote:
Totally agree. It is not a mitzvah.
And if you live in an apartment building please don't just loud parties at night!! Especially past 10!! Just no. I don't care that it is Purim- I have special needs kids who need to sleep. I have a baby who didn't sleep last night. I get migraines from not sleeping. Think of the non Jews and not frum people in your building and neighborhood.

Don't do an aveira while celebrating a chag.

Fwiw. Most people hadn’t even finished meegillah at 10pm this year due to changed clocks.
And not in the streets I get, in houses though is often worse for those that live nearby. Btdt. It’s awful.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 8:40 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
The non jews in my area party the night away way more often then once a year.
Purim started very late this year. It's not disgusting that the music stopped at 2AM. It's ok. It's once a year.

Yes it is disgusting. Party in someone's house all you want. Dont have blaring trucks at 1am especially in a neighborhood that is not completely jewish. That being said last night there was barely any noise.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:20 am
Yes, it's once a year. Also once a year for the little kids who want to put on their costumes and go visit and deliver, for the families. And when the kids can't sleep half the night, it can really mess with the day. What would you say to the grandparents who want to enjoy their young grandchildren at seudah and vice versa, but by then ate falling off their feet or impossibly cranky because they were awake until 2am? That's also their once a year.

Inside, please.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:30 am
GLUE wrote:
I lived in a place where non-Jews would have fireworks starting from May and the whole night July 4th and New Years night parties.

I tolerated it because, what can you expect from non-Jews?
Now I heard fireworks for about a month and it is much worse because we should know better. Thank fully the fireworks stopped tonight at about 12:00 where I live.

Why always the need to insult in order to make the jews sound better.
Mot all non jews are terrible people.
We can expect high standards from jews AND non jews alike.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:51 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Why always the need to insult in order to make the jews sound better.
Mot all non jews are terrible people.
We can expect high standards from jews AND non jews alike.

True, most non jews aren't terrible people.

It's also true that by every metric jews are better than gentiles. We are safer, more caring, do more chessed ect.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. If non jews are allowed fireworks and noise on new years and july 4, then shouldn't jews have one day as well? Isn't that fair?

It would seem the height of hypocracy for a gentile to participate or even tolerate new years and july 4 fireworks, and then complain about purim.

That being said we are better than them and I don't think we should be blasting music late purin night. Bh there are plenty of frum areas where you don't hear loud purim music late at night. There are NO areas that you won't hear fireworks late on july 4.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:01 am
amother DarkOrange wrote:
True, most non jews aren't terrible people.

It's also true that by every metric jews are better than gentiles. We are safer, more caring, do more chessed ect.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. If non jews are allowed fireworks and noise on new years and july 4, then shouldn't jews have one day as well? Isn't that fair?

It would seem the height of hypocracy for a gentile to participate or even tolerate new years and july 4 fireworks, and then complain about purim.

That being said we are better than them and I don't think we should be blasting music late purin night. Bh there are plenty of frum areas where you don't hear loud purim music late at night. There are NO areas that you won't hear fireworks late on july 4.

Seriously? You clearly haven’t left your box much. The nonjewish population is mostly safe, kind, caring and helping others. There is a minority of people who don’t fit that description. Same as in the frum community.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:31 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
Seriously? You clearly haven’t left your box much. The nonjewish population is mostly safe, kind, caring and helping others. There is a minority of people who don’t fit that description. Same as in the frum community.

Oh, I agree. Most gentiles are safe and good people.

My point is that jews are infact better than even that standard. How many frum neighborhoods on earth would you consider unsafe to go to? I'd say zero.

I'm not saying gentiles aren't caring but jews have far more volunteer chessed organizations than gentiles. I'm not going to list them all but I'm sure you are aware of them.

So again, most gentiles are good and decent people. But taken as a group, jews are extraordinary and even better. I'm proud of that and you should be as well.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:35 am
Relax, seriously. You’re not going to change anyone and it’s not good for your blood pressure to spend this one day a year getting mad about everything. Invest in some good sound machines.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics