Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Please Help: Getting Toddler to Nap

1stimer

Post Thu, Nov 03 2005, 3:08 am
Since we got back, (last Friday) my 14 month old son won't nap during the day. He is only sleeping 11 and a half hours at night and it is not enough for him. He is over tired and won't sleep during the day. How do I get him to sleep? Big prize for winning solution Wink

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Nov 03 2005, 9:20 pm
if you want to take a chance.......give him a bottle in his crib. Make sure to turn off the lights, close the shades and make it as dark as possible. Make sure he has calm activities right before naptime.

1stimer

Post Sat, Nov 05 2005, 2:15 pm
He doesn't have a bottle anymore brachad, but thanks for the suggestion. In the end it got to such a terrible state, that he would get hysterical when we would head to his bedroom (only for nap time not for bedtime) so I took him to the dr. He suggested a homeopathic remedy, I gave it to him on Friday before both his naps and b'h b'h it was AMAZING it calmed him and he managed to fall asleep. b'h b'a'h today he went down to nap no problem and without the medicine.

sheshycoco

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 1:08 pm
wow, that's great, what did the doctor say the problem was?
How did you wean him off of the bottle, does he still have milk anyway, and what age are you supposed to do this. My boy is 16 months, and he is so attatched to his bottle, he never took a pacifier,how much longer is it ok to let him. Its when he sleeps, but I know that has to stop eventually too, any help?

avigayil

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 1:45 pm
Brachad,

I am glad to hear about your todderl.
I read a book called 'The No Cry Sleep Solution' and it really helped me get my son to go down for naps. He is, B'H", 18 months old now. For the first 6-8 months of his life, he had no set nap pattern. This book helped me understand the baby sleep cycle.
In my son's case, I gave him a certain stuffed animal he liked and I let him develop an attatchment to it. I would give it to him in his crib and he would use it to comfort himself.

What did that homeopath suggest? It might become a best seller.

1stimer

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 2:36 pm
sheshycoco, I knew what the problem was, he missed a night's sleep (we travelled through the night) and was overtired and couldn't fall asleep.

He didn't have a bottle much since I bf him. he first learnt to drink from a cup (at around 10 months) and then we just got rid of the bottle. It was easy because he wasn't attached to it.

The big problem with bottles is if he goes to sleep with a bottle of milk or juice - it can cause tooth decay. Better give him water. I have read that a good way of getting rid of the bottle is only giving water in it, any other drinks give him in a cup. Good luck

1stimer

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 2:38 pm
I forget what the name of the homeopathic remedy was, I think it had passion flower extract in it. I personally would only give it in extreme situations (as this was) and not regularly.

sheshycoco

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 10:31 pm
Thanx , I;ve read that too, but it seams impossible with him. I guess I should start slowly, but does that have to be done now? I guess it makes sense since he already has teeth Sad, just trying to put it off,uuuuggghhh

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 10:35 pm
My babies all of them had bottles for night till 2 yrs. but not during the day. And so far all of their teeth r just fine ba"h. I gave them milk or water, never juice only during the day in their sippy cups Exclamation

tzivi

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 10:36 pm
I know people who give (on medical advice) Phernergan (sorry I don't know how to spell it properly), it is an anti histamine and contains a mild sedative to help the child get to sleep and back into routine.

sheshycoco

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 7:38 pm
I guess it couldn't be used to wean a toddler off a bottle, which could takes weeks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics