Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Would you let DS wear this costume?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 11:24 pm
Just when I was patting myself on the bag for planning Purim in advance this year, we came up with a potentially big last-minute problem.

Our family is doing a Hawaiian theme, and even though DS originally wasn't going to dress the part, he came across something called a Tiki costume that he really liked, so we ordered it and it looks great on him.

So what could be the problem? Someone asked what makes it Hawaiian, and a little Google research revealed that ... tiki is based on Hawaiian avodah zara! Surprised

But from what I can tell these statues today are decorative and used all over Hawaii, and I don't think it's anything like dressing up like buddha which we would obviously never do.

And in our OOT community, I don't think anybody is even going to know what it is, it's just more of a question of is this an appropriate costume now that we know what it's about?

Here's a pic of the costume - do you think it's innocent enough, or sufficiently problematic that we should steer clear?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8FMTJ8/

amother
Peachpuff

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 11:27 pm
Maybe ask your Rav if it’s halachically problematic?

amother
Sand

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 11:30 pm
I wouldn’t. Also don’t see what is Hawaiian about it.. was thinking more of like colorful clothing and straw hat and sandals

scintilla

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 11:31 pm
I never heard of this before, but from a quick Google I don't love the sound of it personally. But I agree that you should find out more especially since you already have the costume.

Maybe call one of the shluchim/shluchos in Hawaii (look on chabad.org) and see if they have an idea, you can probably even reach someone now due to the time difference!

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 11:33 pm
No I wouldn't. I don't know how much you read in your googling but it really seems wrong to wear that.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 12:24 am
Avoda Zara's a big deal. So I wouldnt call it Tiki, thats something we stay away from. Totem Poles, on the other hand were used to tell stories, record historic events etc. Perhaps call it a Totem Pole with a story of how an angry people revolted against a bad king?
Please ask a Shayla.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 12:51 am
This costume looks very unrefined, I wouldn't let my kids wear it.

amother
Maple

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 1:02 am
Here in Israel people dress up in Santa hats. When I first moved here I was disturbed. However the longer I live here the more I see how they have absolutely no idea what the red hat or custume represents. For them it's a purim costume. Asking a rav is best

On the other hand I threw away all my Nike sneakers after learning about and than reading on their website that Nike is the God of Sport who gives power to those who wear it. I won't go before Hashem and daven with an avida Zara icon.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 1:51 am
amother Maple wrote:
On the other hand I threw away all my Nike sneakers after learning about and than reading on their website that Nike is the God of Sport who gives power to those who wear it. I won't go before Hashem and daven with an avida Zara icon.

What?!

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 2:35 am
Hope you had a good purim op
What happened In the end with a costume

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 7:03 am
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
What?!

Nike is the Greek goddess of victory. I don't think the brand is connected enough to Avoda Zara to be a problem - I doubt anyone involved in the brand actually believes in/worships Greek gods. And I'm pretty sure the swoosh symbol is entirely modern. You can ask your LOR if it's something you need to be concerned about.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 8:18 am
amother Maple wrote:
Here in Israel people dress up in Santa hats. When I first moved here I was disturbed. However the longer I live here the more I see how they have absolutely no idea what the red hat or custume represents. For them it's a purim costume. Asking a rav is best

A lot of products have names that are mythicalogical allusions. The name Ajax comes from Greek mythology. The symbols for dove soap and Gatorade come from greek gods. The Starbucks symbol is a siren which comes from greek mythology. I don't know if it's a problem to use these products, but there are probably more than most people realize that have questionable origins.

amother
Chambray

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 8:55 am
amother Maple wrote:
Here in Israel people dress up in Santa hats. When I first moved here I was disturbed. However the longer I live here the more I see how they have absolutely no idea what the red hat or custume represents. For them it's a purim costume. Asking a rav is best.

In my US community, I saw a family dressed as Santa and other Xmas theme clothes... they absolutely knew what they were doing. A real turn off.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 11:19 am
amother Seashell wrote:
Hope you had a good purim op
What happened In the end with a costume

The Rabbi said it was fine, and DS loved wearing it and got lots of compliments! Thanks for encouraging me to to ask the shaila. I was so nervous when DH called, but knowing that the Rabbi approved was a huge relief. Of course anyone else who's jealous of the costume should ask their own LOR. Smile

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 11:26 am
amother Maple wrote:

I saw an Israeli family dressed up as Santa's elves!

Shiraz

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 11:39 am
I used to wear socks with the tongue image from rolling stones and after google searching the image it also comes from avoida zarah. Since then I start checking anything I buy.. Good thing you spoke to a Rav.. Purim Sameach!!

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
The Rabbi said it was fine, and DS loved wearing it and got lots of compliments! Thanks for encouraging me to to ask the shaila. I was so nervous when DH called, but knowing that the Rabbi approved was a huge relief. Of course anyone else who's jealous of the costume should ask their own LOR. Smile

Do you live in Flatbush? I saw a really cute boy (and cute girls in Hawaiian costumes) In that costume!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics