Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Searching for unique High School
Previous  1  2

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 6:15 pm
kollel_wife wrote:
Please be very careful with all boarding family situations
Of course. But why do you sound so ominous? I boarded at 4 different families over the years and BH they all were good, kind families. It's certainly not easy to be a boarder, but most families who take in boarders are good people.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 6:56 pm
Maybe nitzotz in flatbush ?

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 7:20 pm
What about Boston?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 7:53 pm
Back in the day people used to send to a seminary ( high school age) in Manchester UK. is that still around? They have their own dorm so no need to board with a family.

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 8:08 pm
Hi have you found a school yet? I’m searching for the same type of school as well. My daughter sounds very similar. She is sweet, outgoing and respectful but not academic….I want her to be somewhere warm where she is appreciated for who she is and not looked down upon because she doesn’t have great grades. Does a place like that exist?? I’m willing to quit my job and move.

amother
Anemone

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 8:15 pm
amother Oak wrote:
Hi have you found a school yet? I’m searching for the same type of school as well. My daughter sounds very similar. She is sweet, outgoing and respectful but not academic….I want her to be somewhere warm where she is appreciated for who she is and not looked down upon because she doesn’t have great grades. Does a place like that exist?? I’m willing to quit my job and move.

I’m looking for the same. The middle school where she was was great, but the high school of that school is awful. I want her OUT. There are so many options for boys, but it seems there’s very little for girls. There are a few more options if I want to send her out of town, but I don’t think that will be beneficial for her. She the kid who calls as often as she can (even if she’s not allowed and has to sneak) the first two weeks of camp to tell me how terrible it is and how homesick she is and that she needs to come home.

amother
Birch

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 9:10 pm
singsong wrote:
Look into Yotzer Ohr Miami. They have a waiting list for the dorm but if you can find a boarding family or have relatives it would work. It's a great school for girls who don't do well with academic pressure, and it's small enough that everyone is noticed and cherished. The principal is a fantastic lady and honestly if every principal was like her the world would be a better place. You can pm me for more info.

Please do your research first
OP- open your eyes well

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 10:36 pm
What do u mean? About the school or about dorming? Open eyes to what? I looked online and seems like a nice place please fill me in so I don’t make a mistake

singsong

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:14 pm
amother Birch wrote:
Please do your research first
OP- open your eyes well

I'm a current parent and beyond impressed with the place, thankyouverymuch. So much so that I cannot wait to send my (much) younger daughter there for high school.

My eyes are wide open, but thanks for the ominous warning with no context.

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:15 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
Of course. But why do you sound so ominous? I boarded at 4 different families over the years and BH they all were good, kind families. It's certainly not easy to be a boarder, but most families who take in boarders are good people.

I had some rough boarding situations. I specifically only send my kids to schools with dorms even though it limits our choices. (We are OOT with no local high school options.)

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 12:51 am
did you look into Dallas? also a great choice!!
depends on what level of struggling you are referring to. it's a little more rw than silver spring and providence, but more lw than denver.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:23 am
Boston does not take girls from outside of Boston(or nearby areas)

Providence might be a good fit. 10 years ago, they were taking girls, who were, unfortunately, really troubled, with lots of emotional challenges. They have moved away from that, and are now taking only solid girls who either are not particularly academic, or solid girls who need a bit more of an out of the box environment. They will take a girl who is also from a challenging home environment if the girl is otherwise stable.

Making sure your daughter is at a good boarding family is definitely important. Ask for refernces- ask for names of current parents whose daughter board and make sure that your daughter is in a place that's good for her.

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:32 am
My brother had a horrible boarding situation. (The father got 7 years behind bars for it)
So my parents only let me go to a school with a dorm. I was extremely unhappy in a dorm situation. I was constantly trying to build relationships with nearby families.

There are problems with dorms, and there can be very problematic boarding families.
Do your research well, and know your kid before sending them away.

(Anonymous for my brother's privacy)

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 11:21 pm
fish wrote:
Has does anyone have personal experience with NEAT in providence?

Yes, if you still need info. I went, but over 15 years ago lol so it's a lot different then it was back then. I really liked it for what it was back then, but I'm sure it's changed a lot over the years. I still keep in contact with my boarding parents though!

amother
Blushpink

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 11:31 pm
What about Chaviva in Cleveland? I don't know its level of academics, but I've heard of people who are there and absolutely love it.

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 11:39 pm
Kosloff torah academy in Philadelphia is small and warm. They have different levels of academics. I think they take out of town girls
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics