Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Should DH go to school or work?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 2:41 pm
Good ol' DH still hasn't made up his mind. I told him to please go and get those degrees! We will manage and he said no he's not sure. He wants to work on his work ethic and doing things in teams etc.

But I said there are no jobs you like and he said that isn't true. There are some good jobs, just often when they advertise they hide that you need a PhD and that is annoying. He'd like to know upfront Wink

So he's looking at jobs. I asked if he applied. He told me he didn't because he's still not sure about the degree.

Arghhhhh LOL. I just want a decision!

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 5:49 pm
You said he currently is in a job that he enjoys? What's the pay/practical difference between what he's doing now and what he could do with the PhD? I.e. what is the cost of inaction if you stop stressing about this and just go with the flow? If he hesitant to embark on a PhD, what would happen if he tries the other field first, sees that it isn't working, and THEN decides to go for the PhD?

I don't know what field he's in but the PhDs I know are not exactly raking it in.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:05 am
seeker wrote:
You said he currently is in a job that he enjoys? What's the pay/practical difference between what he's doing now and what he could do with the PhD? I.e. what is the cost of inaction if you stop stressing about this and just go with the flow? If he hesitant to embark on a PhD, what would happen if he tries the other field first, sees that it isn't working, and THEN decides to go for the PhD?

I don't know what field he's in but the PhDs I know are not exactly raking it in.

He is. But the problem with his current job is that he has to sign for a year and he doesn't want to. He took this job as something temporary. The professor he works for is also pressuring him to go get more degrees. He wants more of DH's major in Israel...

If he has a PHD I think he gets to decide the direction of the research provided he gets the grants. (I think?)

I'm really trying to stay away from the rollercoaster, but it is a bit ungrounding for me. He really has to choose between 3 things:

1. Stay at his current job (he doesn't see this as an option). Barely pays the bills, but it's something he is overall happy with. This isn't on his list. It's just on mine Wink

2. Stop working 3/31 (He says he's going to work for the professor for free after because he has to tie up loose ends) and job search. Hopefully find a job that pays decently. He doesn't think this is so hard. I have my doubts.

3. Stop working 3/31 and then start the semester mid May. Get a stipend. Hopefully finish the degree s and get better jobs. (Not better meaning more money. Better meaning more well suited for him.)

I'm hoping unemployment is at least an option because we got Pesach coming up...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics