Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Mishkafayim vs neve shamir

therealdeal1

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 7:20 am
Hi, we are making aliyah in the summer be"h. Was planning on heading to neve shamir but we possibly have found an apartment in mishkafayim. Wondering if someone can break down any differences between the 2 areas. We are in mid 30's with kids ages 14 and down. Hashkafically we like a mixed crowd. Thanks.

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 7:46 am
Mishkafayim is a more established neighborhood with a modern charedi majority and many Americans and is very sought after. In contrast to Neve Shamir where the character of the population is not yet clear or fully established and there is still a lot of construction going on. Another disadvantage with neve Shamir is that it does not even have a grocery store or enough public centers, however it is within a 7-10 driving distance to main shopping centers on Rama Aleph.
It is a 20-minute walk from Neve Shamir and a 5-minute drive to mishkafayim.

amother
Clear

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 8:45 am
therealdeal1 wrote:
Hi, we are making aliyah in the summer be"h. Was planning on heading to neve shamir but we possibly have found an apartment in mishkafayim. Wondering if someone can break down any differences between the 2 areas. We are in mid 30's with kids ages 14 and down. Hashkafically we like a mixed crowd. Thanks.

Mishkafayim: The neighborhood is generally more charedi leaning and very Anglo. There are people being supported here by American parents and many apartments are owned by them. There are though many smaller groups as well of every type but that is the general overall hashkafa. A lot of young families but also older. The closest store walking is Best which is about 15 minutes walk away. There are three small parks. They packed four schools here so it’s very busy at school hours. Also, they are building 6 new apartment buildings and one more large one at the center so what it will be in a few years can’t really be known.

Neve Shamir: This is RBS Hey 1. My favorite part is the beautiful giant park and if you walk through it, you can get to the M3 stores and restaurants very quick. Overall, this neighborhood is currently a little more Israeli and a mix of charedi to dati, left to right. Coming from an OOT mixed place and being somewhere between every hashkafa, I prefer this area. They are building one complex that was heavily marketed in very yeshivish areas of USA and then the first ones buildings are more Israeli whereas another being built is very mixed. The people living here live a little more like Israelis, I.e. israeli salaries without parental support. We’re the same age as you. Likely traffic will be harder here in the long run because they will continue to build schools and more buildings but only time will tell because both are under construction.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 8:54 am
Mishkafayim is a more established community. Very Anglo yeshivish although it is definitely a mix. There are 2 sefardi shuls, a very DL shul, and a few Anglo yeshivish shuls.
I disagree that many people are supported by parents who own the apartments. The apartments owned by chutznikim are a few here and there.
There's nothing like the ramat eshkol culture here. 97% of the residents are citizens (born here or olim).

There are kids of every age here and every hashkafa. Every family is shomer shabbat.

Neve shamir is bigger so more spread out right now because less inhabited apartments. Major construction for Manu more years to come. And a MUCH wider mix. Lots of chassidish Israelis all the way to secular.

therealdeal1

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 8:57 am
amother Clear wrote:
Mishkafayim: The neighborhood is generally more charedi leaning and very Anglo. There are people being supported here by American parents and many apartments are owned by them. There are though many smaller groups as well of every type but that is the general overall hashkafa. A lot of young families but also older. The closest store walking is Best which is about 15 minutes walk away. There are three small parks. They packed four schools here so it’s very busy at school hours. Also, they are building 6 new apartment buildings and one more large one at the center so what it will be in a few years can’t really be known.

Neve Shamir: This is RBS Hey 1. My favorite part is the beautiful giant park and if you walk through it, you can get to the M3 stores and restaurants very quick. Overall, this neighborhood is currently a little more Israeli and a mix of charedi to dati, left to right. Coming from an OOT mixed place and being somewhere between every hashkafa, I prefer this area. They are building one complex that was heavily marketed in very yeshivish areas of USA and then the first ones buildings are more Israeli whereas another being built is very mixed. The people living here live a little more like Israelis, I.e. israeli salaries without parental support. We’re the same age as you. Likely traffic will be harder here in the long run because they will continue to build schools and more buildings but only time will tell because both are under construction.

Thank you so much for the details. How long is the walk thru the park from ns to m3? So are the buildings in ns nuanced in terms of the type we should be looking for or more of a mix in each? I understand your description but wondering if its like in aleph how every block is like another town. Would love to chat if you want to pm me maybe I could call u. Ty.

therealdeal1

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 9:00 am
Are there plans for stores in mishkafayim ever?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 9:17 am
therealdeal1 wrote:
Are there plans for stores in mishkafayim ever?

There is an area zoned for a commercial area and a developer purchased it and then filed for a zoning change to turn it into apartments with a small commercial part. It's now in litigation.
He's being completely disgusting by taking away the only piece of land that can have a store on it.

The shopping center in Neve shamir is already under construction.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 9:22 am
Neveh Shamir is a literal construction site, dusk, Arabs very little greenery currently which makes it depressing IMHO. I work there and commute from Gimmel everyday. There's definitely a much bigger mix, extremists and chareidim. Currently no real schools or shuls except one dati leumi one of each.

Mishkafayim is full of greenery life, parks, families etc. Much more established.

amother
Clear

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:09 am
therealdeal1 wrote:
Thank you so much for the details. How long is the walk thru the park from ns to m3? So are the buildings in ns nuanced in terms of the type we should be looking for or more of a mix in each? I understand your description but wondering if its like in aleph how every block is like another town. Would love to chat if you want to pm me maybe I could call u. Ty.

As you can see, people have very different opinions. Both are undergoing a lot of construction so it’s harder to know in the long run. Mishkafayim entrance is getting six new buildings right now. NS has complexes rather than buildings so a bunch of buildings will have a feel. In aleph, it’s one building to the next.

It’s less than a ten minute walk. Yarmut is a beautiful park in RBS. It stretches from Hey to Gimmel through M3 on the way. The full length is about 30 minutes walk for us. We’ve walked it many times.

I’ll PM.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:14 am
Not OP, but looking for more info about Mishkafayim. Agewise, are most of the families in their 20s, 30s, or 40s+? Is it mostly Israelis or olim, and is it easy to get by in English? And religious-wise, would a really OOT yeshivish family feel comfortable there, meaning not MO/DL but also not at all Israeli Chareidi?

amother
Clear

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:15 am
And the hills behind hey are great hiking spots with an archeological site too.

Both are great neighborhoods and we love them both. For us, we found Hey to have better nature access and a more mixed crowd including a larger number with sons or husband’s in the army which is a better fit for us.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 11:03 am
amother Turquoise wrote:
Not OP, but looking for more info about Mishkafayim. Agewise, are most of the families in their 20s, 30s, or 40s+? Is it mostly Israelis or olim, and is it easy to get by in English? And religious-wise, would a really OOT yeshivish family feel comfortable there, meaning not MO/DL but also not at all Israeli Chareidi?

The ages of the families run the entire range. 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s.
There's literally something for everyone.

You can get by with English. The Israelis are about 35% of the neighborhood. The neighborhood chats are in English. You'll have plenty of Anglo friends in every park.
It's FULL of OOT yeshivish type people. There are not really any Israeli chareidim in mishkafayim.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 12:05 pm
amother Clear wrote:
And the hills behind hey are great hiking spots with an archeological site too.

Both are great neighborhoods and we love them both. For us, we found Hey to have better nature access and a more mixed crowd including a larger number with sons or husband’s in the army which is a better fit for us.

How do you know where to go? I love hiking but I don't know where to go.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions