Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Learning to count

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 11:17 am
When do kids learn to count to 10, and when do they understand what the numbers actually mean?

Should I be concerned if my 2.5 yr old has not starting counting at all yet? Every time I read a book with counting I really stress it and point to each object and same when we're shopping etc.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 11:22 am
do you use counting in real life? like going down the stairs count how many stairs they are...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 11:22 am
amother NeonOrange wrote:
do you use counting in real life? like going down the stairs count how many stairs they are...

Yes I do

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 4:49 pm
bump

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 4:50 pm
No you should not be concerned.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 5:33 pm
I was told by her teachers that my 3 year old was advanced enough to be pushed ahead, with one of the examples being understanding one to one correspondence (I thought it was average age appropriateness but apparently it's on the higher end)

So first step is to memorize the counting before that understanding can take place, and it's totally fine if it's not yet understood at 2.5

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 5:37 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I was told by her teachers that my 3 year old was advanced enough to be pushed ahead, with one of the examples being understanding one to one correspondence (I thought it was average age appropriateness but apparently it's on the higher end)

So first step is to memorize the counting before that understanding can take place, and it's totally fine if it's not yet understood at 2.5

Thank you!

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 9:06 pm
Are you talking about counting by rote or actually understanding what it means?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 9:12 pm
My 2.5 year old can almost count to 10. And he pretends to count things (objects, pictures, etc) but not accurately. But I bet your 2.5 year old can do tons of other things mine isn’t able to do yet. I wouldn’t worry at all about it. Just keep exposing him and counting out loud to him just like you’re doing.

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 9:18 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Really? My 2.5 year old has been doing that for a while and I don’t think she’s particularly smart or advanced

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 9:28 pm
All my kids counted at 2. I think at 2.5 they should be able to count to 5. Or at least know those numbers even if they say it out of order. But it’s not a huge concern if they don’t.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 11:09 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
Really? My 2.5 year old has been doing that for a while and I don’t think she’s particularly smart or advanced
I had the same reaction but the teachers said it wasn't an expectation to reach by 3. Many do accomplish it but there's nothing lacking if they don't (it wasn't an indication my daughter was way ahead of her peers but rather an indication she could move up with the kids older than her since she had mastered the same skills as the kids in her class who had turned 4)
I find a lot of the milestones have large ranges of normal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics