Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
How to address DD's acne
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 7:59 am
My DD is 11.5. She started getting some pimples here and there a year or so ago. At the time we talked about how it's part of puberty, I had them when I was her age, here's a cream she can use. She tried the cream once or twice but told me she didn't like how it felt (you know the way acne cream kind of feels tight on your face once it's dry?) and I think she was also self-conscious that it's a little visible on the face even after it dries. I dropped it at that point and didn't push.

In the last few weeks it's gotten a lot worse, she has probably 20+ pimples on her forehead and cheeks. I think she picks at them also. Do I bring it up again? Check if she still has the cream I bought her? Nag her to use it? I don't want her to get a complex about the pimples making her unattractive- but as a mother is it my responsibility to make sure she takes care of this appropriately?

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:48 am
I don't think those spot treatment creams work.
I had my 12 year start using otc adapalene and she saw improvement right away, so she knows it's worth the hassle. And it is a hassle. She has to moisturize so the adapalene doesn't dry her out or cause tightness as you pointed out. She has to wash her face in the morning to remove the adapalene. She has to use sun screen because any acne treatment increases sensitivity to the sun. Which means she has to wash her face at night to remove the sunscreen so that it doesn't cause more acne.

So it's a whole routine and I understand why she doesn't like it. She uses it whenever her pimples start to bother her.

I showed her the entire routine, and explained it to her. We did it together a few times. Now it's up to her. I'm not going to nag or remind unless she asks for reminders.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:58 am
amother OP wrote:
My DD is 11.5. She started getting some pimples here and there a year or so ago. At the time we talked about how it's part of puberty, I had them when I was her age, here's a cream she can use. She tried the cream once or twice but told me she didn't like how it felt (you know the way acne cream kind of feels tight on your face once it's dry?) and I think she was also self-conscious that it's a little visible on the face even after it dries. I dropped it at that point and didn't push.

In the last few weeks it's gotten a lot worse, she has probably 20+ pimples on her forehead and cheeks. I think she picks at them also. Do I bring it up again? Check if she still has the cream I bought her? Nag her to use it? I don't want her to get a complex about the pimples making her unattractive- but as a mother is it my responsibility to make sure she takes care of this appropriately?

Why nag her? It's *her* face, not yours.
She needs to learn face routine and stick to it.
If it doesn't bother her then why should it bother you?

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 9:02 am
You need to take her to a dermatologist

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 9:07 am
I have had acne for years. I went to Edith and she was able to get rid of almost all of it. So grateful. Natural facials and creams is the way to go. Moisturize. Don't use strong stuff that dries out the skin.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 9:10 am
Does she have a skin care routine? Before any acne creams, she needs appropriate face wash, moisturizer, etc

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 9:10 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Why nag her? It's *her* face, not yours.
She needs to learn face routine and stick to it.
If it doesn't bother her then why should it bother you?

I wish my mother would've nagged me when I was younger. Such a shame she didn't care enough.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:27 am
Ok I'm still totally confused what to do. Anyone else?

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:28 am
Take her a dermatologist

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:37 am
Give her gentle kind reminders to wash her face and use the cream.

Talk about it often. “How’s it going? Are you happy with this cream? Do you want me to find a different one?”

Never say that acne looks bad. Never yell. Never say why can’t you take better care of your skin. Never criticize.

Be positive gentle and kind. And keep talking about it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 5:24 pm
amother Viola wrote:
Take her a dermatologist

Yes, I did see your post the first time around and I'm aware that a dermatologist is the doctor to see about acne if OTC treatment doesn't work.

My question was how to bring up treating it in the first place. How to start the conversation with DD. Because she's not coming to me and asking what to do.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 5:29 pm
Cold water helps a LOT. The face should only be washed in cold, cold water. Not even warm.

Acid can help: some vinegar in the water.

The dermatologist can help.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 5:33 pm
She may take what a dermatologist prescribed more seriously than your suggestions.
Also she may enjoy a mini facial as an introduction to skincare.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:25 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Cold water helps a LOT. The face should only be washed in cold, cold water. Not even warm.

Acid can help: some vinegar in the water.

The dermatologist can help.

that's so interesting! I'm in skin care and I teach to wash in WARM water with a cleanser that also exfoliates to get deep INTO the pores. It also leaves the pores available for moisturizers and serums and topical vitamins to do their job. To each their own!

If she's already committed to washing with a GOOD cleanser (NOT a drugstore brand) twice a day and moisturizing twice a day, she can try adding 5% benzoyl peroxide (NOT 10%)...... OR a salicylic acid toner. A good one. NOT A DRUGSTORE BRAND. If all THAT isn't helpful, THEN a derm. I speak from experience--- my own 17 year old goes to a derm and I'm ON her about her skin care. But yeah--- when I'm not looking, she picks her skin with her disgusting fingers. Fun.

Bleemee

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:37 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
that's so interesting! I'm in skin care and I teach to wash in WARM water with a cleanser that also exfoliates to get deep INTO the pores. It also leaves the pores available for moisturizers and serums and topical vitamins to do their job. To each their own!

If she's already committed to washing with a GOOD cleanser (NOT a drugstore brand) twice a day and moisturizing twice a day, she can try adding 5% benzoyl peroxide (NOT 10%)...... OR a salicylic acid toner. A good one. NOT A DRUGSTORE BRAND. If all THAT isn't helpful, THEN a derm. I speak from experience--- my own 17 year old goes to a derm and I'm ON her about her skin care. But yeah--- when I'm not looking, she picks her skin with her disgusting fingers. Fun.

Why are drugstore brands not good enough?

Shepping

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:39 pm
I've heard zinc is supposed to be helpful. I had acne as a girl but outgrew it past hs. My mother tried diff things but I was very not on top of skincare, I found that it just passed once I grew up...

Saralle

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:43 pm
If you want to solve the problem from the inside out, DM me.

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:43 pm
Does she wash her face daily with acne soap?

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:44 pm
Saralle wrote:
If you want to solve the problem from the inside out, DM me.

Would you share here?

Interested for self and dd 10

amother
Lightcyan

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:46 pm
I would recommend edith facials in flatbush! they were best solution for me.
but your daughter needs to be ready to follow a process of masks and creams, its really worth it!
please tell her something... catch it now before it gets worse...
also, I would say to avoid any otc creams, it made my acne much worse. I still have deep pores and some scars today because of it.
follow edith's process
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children