Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What kind of patient emergencies do therapists have?
Previous  1  2

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:06 am
I used to see a therapist who would often show up 15-20 minutes late. This happened more often than not. She just had poor time management. Not that I think it's ok- it was really unprofessional.

amother
Oxfordblue

amother OP wrote:
This is the first that's been cancelled. And there have been several that he's been a few minutes late too. But at least twice he was 20-30 minutes late due to an unavoidable patient emergency. And the most annoying thing is that because they are zoom appointments, I just sit there waiting for him to get on. He can't text me at appointment time that he will be late because he's in the midst of this emergency so we can sit there for like 20 minutes waiting. The very late appointments have always been just parent appointments, for my child he's only been a few minutes late a few times.

I'm calling that something is off. I know that's not what you want to hear! There is no reason he can't shoot you a quick text while dealing with a patient emergency.

dankbar

Could be if it's happening chronically, then maybe he just has a hard time finishing with the client that's scheduled right before you.

Maybe a diff timing would work better then. Maybe the first appt, so nobody is holding him up

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:14 am
Now I see it's zoom.

With live appts, therapists schedule 15 min between one client and next so clients don't bump into each others in hallways, and it gives a few min leeway if clients overstay session, and gives therapist a few min break to catch their breath.

With zoom, it's interesting because when therapist sets appt with timing, theres option for it, to automatically cut off after the time limit, so it's not like it's hard to say goodbye, you can get cut off mid sentence. Bot doesn't care about that, all he knows is the time to shut off.

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:17 am
Emergency by adults can be domestic violence and abuse

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:18 am
dankbar wrote:
Emergency by adults can be domestic violence and abuse

Does the therapist get involved right away though?

If the client is calling therapist about abuse, the therapist should be calling 911.

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:20 am
Maybe therapist stays on phone to make sure client is safe or till client gets to safety

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:20 am
dankbar wrote:
Maybe therapist stays on phone to make sure client is safe or till client gets to safety

Could be. I still think it would be appropriate to send OP a text that he will be signing on in 20 minutes.

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:29 am
I only had this happen once. My therapist was in middle of doing a reenaction of a patients trauma and couldn’t stop in middle without taking time to calm her and it took longer than expected to do all that. Looking back, it was pretty unethical of her to tell me this when I glimpsed the patient she had done this with as she walked out our of the therapist’s office 20 minutes into my scheduled session as I waited in the waiting room.

This therapist sounds like they have time management problems or boundary problems with the patient before your child. I would discuss this with them and say it’s unacceptable and that you’re considering leaving as a result. The therapist needs to get their act together, it’s really not okay.

amother
Latte

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:38 am
Therapist here for over 15 years.. I work with children, teens adults. I work in person and online. I've dealt with suicide type emergencies late at night, phone calls from hospital staff during the day etc.

I was l0-15 minutes late a handful of times over all those years.
I'd encourage you to raise the issue.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:53 am
amother Latte wrote:
Therapist here for over 15 years.. I work with children, teens adults. I work in person and online. I've dealt with suicide type emergencies late at night, phone calls from hospital staff during the day etc.

I was l0-15 minutes late a handful of times over all those years.
I'd encourage you to raise the issue.

Thank you for your response. What would be an appropriate way for me to bring this up? What should I say? I need him more then he needs me and I wouldn't want to give him a reason so stop working with us. Aside from this he's excellent. I made this post hoping to hear that this was normal and hear experiences from others that this happened to.

The significant lateness and last minute cancellations only happen when its a parent zoom appointment. I'm wondering if we were sitting in the waiting room there wouldn't have been such a last minute cancellation or significant late start. Maybe I should only schedule in person sessions for parent sessions.

dankbar

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:57 am
Is zoom from his house or from his office in a clinic?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:59 am
dankbar wrote:
Is zoom from his house or from his office in a clinic?

His office in an office building.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics