Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Kosher food Towson, Maryland

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 1:27 pm
Hi, we will be traveling to Towson, Maryland in a few weeks. Are there any kosher eateries in Towson, or must we travel to Baltimore for that? Will be arriving pretty late so hoping for something local. Driving there from Pittsburgh, PA.

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 1:33 pm
Towson is 15 mins or less from Baltimore. It’s not a travel to go to a restaurant in Baltimore

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 1:52 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
Towson is 15 mins or less from Baltimore. It’s not a travel to go to a restaurant in Baltimore

With traffic can be 20-25 but OP there are no kosher options in Towson. They’re in Pikesville which is where the Baltimore Community is.

Unless there’s a kosher cafe in a college possibly in Towson? Not sure

amother
Cadetblue

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 2:36 pm
Just an FYI, most kosher restaurants in Baltimore are not open that late at night. Just mentioning because op wrote about late arrival. You might be better off bringing food with you for your night of arrival and then driving into Baltimore the next day. It's probably a 15-20 minute drive to the frum area.

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 4:26 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
Just an FYI, most kosher restaurants in Baltimore are not open that late at night. Just mentioning because op wrote about late arrival. You might be better off bringing food with you for your night of arrival and then driving into Baltimore the next day. It's probably a 15-20 minute drive to the frum area.

This^^ I’m from Baltimore. Nothing will be open after 8:30pm

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 4:32 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
This^^ I’m from Baltimore. Nothing will be open after 8:30pm

David chus is open until 10

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 4:37 pm
Two supermarkets with prepared foods

Seven Mile
https://www.shopsevenmilemarke.....n/967
Market Maven
https://marketmavenmd.com/

You can check Uber Eats and equivalent to see if you can get delivery from other restaurants

Sushi Sakura
Tov Pizza
Kosher Bite
David Chu's
Taam Thai
Accents

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 5:27 pm
Towson is in Baltimore! it is a 15 min drive from the main frum community of Baltimore.
Here are some places to get food...
seven mile market
market maven
kosher bite
caramels pizza
tov pizza
royal restaurant
accents grill
pie 18
david chus
yesh
goldbergs bagels
mama leahs
google any of these and you will see its not a major drive.
depending on day of the week, the stores close at different times.
seven mile market closes at 7pm sun, 9pm mon and tues, 10pm wed and 11pm thurs
hatzlacha

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 8:52 am
Thanks for all the tips. College tour! We will bring food for the evening arrival and find a restaurant next day.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 10:01 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for all the tips. College tour! We will bring food for the evening arrival and find a restaurant next day.

Good luck! If you want restaurant recommendations feel free to specify what type you’re looking for

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:57 am
Oh my gosh David Chu's was sooo good, we ate there twice! You lucky locals! Thanks for the tips, we stopped at Seven Mile Market too.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:00 am
amother OP wrote:
Oh my gosh David Chu's was sooo good, we ate there twice! You lucky locals! Thanks for the tips, we stopped at Seven Mile Market too.

My fave place! Just treated myself to takeout there today. Glad you enjoyed!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 6:06 am
As an aside, are there Orthodox kids who go to Towson? We didn't see much of a Jewish presence on campus, nobody with a kippah except the mashgiach at the kosher dining stall. Do frum students attend there but live in Pikesville? The good news is there was zero evidence of Pro Pal/anti-Zionist stuff on campus.

amother
Zinnia

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 6:11 am
amother OP wrote:
As an aside, are there Orthodox kids who go to Towson? We didn't see much of a Jewish presence on campus, nobody with a kippah except the mashgiach at the kosher dining stall. Do frum students attend there but live in Pikesville? The good news is there was zero evidence of Pro Pal/anti-Zionist stuff on campus.

I went to Towson 25 years ago but, yes, the orthodox kids lived in Pikesville. There was no shabbos presence on campus, although there was a kosher dining hall. Everyone had a car and drove in for classes.

Ima03

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 6:44 am
I went to Towson 25 years ago.
All the frum I knew who went to Towson lived in the pikesville area or silver spring area, lived at home, and drove in for classes. I don't know any frum (but I didn't know all that attended either) that lived on campus or near campus.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 6:53 am
I don’t think any really frum (as in yeshivish/chareidi) go to Towson anymore. Typically the boys go thru Ner and the girls thru Maalot/wits/whatever they’re called now. Unless Towson had a specific program, your daughter is better off going to a frum college and your son is best going to Ner. Maryland has more frum stuff going on and the graduate programs also do. The benefit of going to a frum program is that you’re done with a ba very quickly. It’s intense and quick. And they have amazing acceptance rates for graduate school. Good luck!

Beautiful

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 6:58 am
A long time ago, there were boys at Ner dorming but going to college at Towson/Loyola etc. If you're looking for a frum environment for your son, it's possibly they still do that. Maalot had a dorm for girls, I don't know otf they have that anymore.

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 6:59 am
There’s an amazing chabad on campus there, reach out to them.
They know all the frum students, are super helpful and will be happy to answer your questions (and will do so honestly).
But agreed with pp, a frum kid is always better off in a frum setting..

amother
DarkViolet

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 8:27 am
Beautiful wrote:
A long time ago, there were boys at Ner dorming but going to college at Towson/Loyola etc. If you're looking for a frum environment for your son, it's possibly they still do that. Maalot had a dorm for girls, I don't know otf they have that anymore.

There's no dorm for WITS (Maalot) anymore. There are plenty of OOTs who come but they board by local families. OP not sure where you fall on the religious spectrum but Towson has very little Jewish life on campus. Maryland has a lot more but definitely more MO. Ner and WITS are both more yeshivsh (tho this is Baltimore, so there's a huge range)

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 8:49 am
Based on my understanding, Ner only gives a BTL.

Then the guys go for masters in their field of choice, in a college setting. (Potentially on-line depending the degree)

So if you want to go for accounting, law, IT, etc you take their BTL. Then you take the pre-requisites for the field and apply to grad school for those fields. Ner doesn't have tracks of study like Maalot does with different fields of study.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics