Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Poll Inclement weather travel?

Do you go out when it’s raining/snowing/too hot/too windy?
Sure, why not?  
 48%  [ 22 ]
No  
 4%  [ 2 ]
Try not to, cancel non essential things  
 20%  [ 9 ]
Yes if light drizzle, light snow etc  
 26%  [ 12 ]
Other  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 45

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:14 am
The minute it’s raining, snowy, excruciatingly hot, or crazy windy, my first instinct is to cancel - dr appointments, errands, attending simchos, etc. I’m from California and we grew up driving everywhere and it could be this was just the way my family handled things? Curious about others perspectives, like does everyone stop cuz of weather? Lol

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:28 am
I wouldn't cancel appointments or miss anything important unless there was a hurricane or blizzard and very unsafe to be on the roads.

If I have errands I can push off a day, however, then I would prefer not to go out unnecessarily in inclement weather.

scruffy

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:37 am
If it's a local simcha I try extra hard to attend in bad weather since they may have fewer guests from farther away.

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:04 am
Where I live, summertime (May to November) is extremely hot and humid. I try my best not to leave my house. I hibernate in the summer. Winters are gorgeous, that’s when we go out and enjoy the weather.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:13 pm
I live in Israel where for about 5 months a year it rains (or is supposed to).
If I stopped my life from everything I needed to do because of the weather, I wouldnt be going anywhere for about 5 months Smile

But I LOVE the rain and cold wet weather so its all good.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:18 pm
Rainy, windy, hot, light snow - wouldn't make any changes.

Heavy snow - I'll avoid if not a big deal, otherwise just go slow. I'm pretty experienced with driving in the snow, but it is more stressful and you have to go pretty slow.

(I think I'd have a future as a professional drifter, but not with kids in the car.)

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:21 pm
I live in the midwest where it can be -11 and cars are on the road. If its -11 or torrential rain or really really hard core snowing if I can avoid going out why not but I would not cancel anything important.

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
The minute it’s raining, snowy, excruciatingly hot, or crazy windy, my first instinct is to cancel - dr appointments, errands, attending simchos, etc. I’m from California and we grew up driving everywhere and it could be this was just the way my family handled things? Curious about others perspectives, like does everyone stop cuz of weather? Lol

I think that’s very California of you, because you are not used to weather. The rest of us are used to just rolling with the weather unless it’s dangerous.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 6:06 pm
Depends how bad it is and how important it is. But I definitely won’t cancel appointments or important errands. It was raining today and I walked across town to an appointment without thinking twice. But grocery shopping I might push off if I can.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 7:15 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
I think that’s very California of you, because you are not used to weather. The rest of us are used to just rolling with the weather unless it’s dangerous.

Do you think it’s most ppl from CA or just me? Lol that’s what I was pondering..Wink

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 7:29 pm
I don't love going out in bad weather but I wouldn't cancel plans unless it was an issue of actual danger. My first job out of college I went to work during a blizzard. I told myself I'd wait for the bus for an hour. It arrived after 55 minutes, darn it. I completed my day's work in about 4 hours and--shomer p'tayyim Hashem--caught what was probably the last bus out of Dodge City and went home. It was a Friday, too, and I totally wasn't thinking that I could be stranded at work with no way to get home and stuck there over Shabbos. The only other person who showed up lived just a few blocks away, was shocked to see me, and stayed only a few minutes.

We have SEASONS here. If we cancelled our plans because the weather is not to our liking, we'd get nothing done, ever.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 9:16 pm
Hi fellow former Californian.

If I cancelled due to weather, we'd be cancelling dentists, doctors, therapy, etc. Very frequently. Because much of the year here in the Midwest it snows or rains...

But I do have a fellow former Californian friend who is scared to drive in snow... gotta give her a few more Years
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics