Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Should I Take the Offer?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 7:43 am
Hi there, all wise Imas.
I wonder if you can give me some good advice.

In a nutshell. I’ve been working at my job for a while. Although I used to love it, there are many things that have come up through the years that have shown me that I need to get out.
Last year I interviewed at another place with a very similar job description- very up my alley. The hours were better, pay was better. I was very tempted to accept.
In the end I turned it down as it is a very small office and the only people working there were like double my age.
The boss also seemed to be a very old fashioned kind of guy, that would resist any change I would put in. Most of the job description, however, was to change what wasn’t working.
From previous experience working with such kind of people I know that this can be difficult. But with the proper conversation in place before accepting the position, I don’t think that in itself would hold me back.

Fast forward a few months - he just asked me if at this point I would reconsider and accept the position.

At this point I am definitely leaving my old job and there is no way I’m staying another year.

My question really is - keeping in mind that I am very social and most of my social life is at work- should I accept the position??

It is better hours and pay, but much less social.
Although money plays a huge part here, it is not my absolute only concern.

Thank you and looking forward to reading your responses!

Revafe

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 7:46 am
I would go for it. Things can charge and younger employees can be hired. But keeping at a job you hate will slowly eat away at you and just not worth it

Maryann

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 7:48 am
What's your other option?

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 7:53 am
My particular office has 3 women (ages 27, 35 and 46)’and the multi generational dynamic works great and we are fabulous friends! Age is just a number; we are on the same wavelength and frankly we each have so much to contribute based on our age, stage and experience. Meaning: don’t assume you won’t enjoy the office dynamic with women your Moms age.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 7:55 am
My other option - which was what I was going to do before he just re offered - was to quit before the summer and enjoy a little break while slowly checking out the job market and going for interviews, etc.

I should mention that this job is much more than I’m getting paid now, but if I were to enter a completely different field I could be making even more than that. And I’ve received job offers to that extent.
I haven’t accepted those offers because I really wasn’t ready to leave the field I was in, but I’m getting more and more ready.
This job would keep me in the field with a significant raise. The biggest issue is the social.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 9:07 am
The job market slowly shifted. It's not as good as it used to be a year ago. Be careful!
I know many ppl that were let go because company sized down.

amother
Midnight

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 9:12 am
I would take the offer

Highstrung

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 9:23 am
I would take it . I worked with one other woman who could have been my mother and I was 19/20. We became close lifelong friends . She also taught me so much in the business world AND in my personal life. I have always found that with the smaller staff I developed closer relationships than with lots of staff my age . But that’s what worked for me personally
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics