Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Ground meat from tomchei Shabbos looks different

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:33 am
It comes in rolls like a salami. Inside it looks a little different than the one you buy in Thames store. Lighter color. The ingredients says : beef

effess

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:44 am
It’s probably more fatty

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:59 am
What’s the difference is it less healthy and tastes worse. I prefer they give me less and a better quality

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:46 am
amother OP wrote:
What’s the difference is it less healthy and tastes worse. I prefer they give me less and a better quality

The taste is likely very good.
Sadly, in this economy many people are in need. There is only a certain amount of donations and assistance thry get. Rather than restricting the amount of people who can get help, the make their $$ go further with food that are filling and enough for the family size.
May you be blessed with abundance of parnassah.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 3:06 am
amother OP wrote:

It definitely won't taste worse.

If you don't like animal fat (which is actually very healthy), brown it and pour off the fat.

amother
Tuberose

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 3:27 am
We get it too. Seems just as good as what I used to buy. Probably just easier to transport and store.
I appreciate more food than less, even if slightly less fancy. Because it is edible and we can make delicious meals out of it.
I am probably in a different city than you but it has been made into meatballs, meatloaf and chili. I don't knock edible food.

Rappel

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 3:31 am
I have never heard someone complain about what they get from Tomchei Shabbat.

maybe you don't really need it?

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 3:38 am
Its more fatty, but tastes good. I'd rather have more that is lesser quality. Beggers can't be choosers.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 4:01 am
Its just a different package, my very expensive brand packs it like that too. Just pour off fat if you like leaner.

patzer

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 8:28 am
Rappel wrote:
I have never heard someone complain about what they get from Tomchei Shabbat.

maybe you don't really need it?

She wasn't complaining, only asking. She's allowed to have questions.

patzer

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 8:30 am
amother Crimson wrote:
Its more fatty, but tastes good. I'd rather have more that is lesser quality. Beggers can't be choosers.

You do realize that this isn't a very kind comment, correct?

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 8:32 am
I buy that type of ground beef locally (oot) and it's fine.

mha3484

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 8:34 am
The ground beef in the tube has the worst texture. I bought it at pre YT sales to save money and was not worth it.

amother
Gardenia

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 8:54 am
patzer wrote:

I disagree, and it’s the truth

I recently joined tomchei and am getting things I’m not used to. I said the same thing, because at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter what they give me, it will keep me and my family from starving and I am so grateful for that

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 9:29 am
patzer wrote:

I'm sorry if you took it negatively, but speaking as someone who gets tomchei shabbos it is just the truth.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 9:44 am
mha3484 wrote:
The ground beef in the tube has the worst texture. I bought it at pre YT sales to save money and was not worth it.

Why is the texture so bad. I’m just wondering

amother
Tuberose

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 9:47 am
As someone getting from Tomchei- we can't be picky. They gave apples every week? We can't complain if it isn't our preferred type or if it got repetitive. I am just grateful.
If they have to make the choice of plentiful food reaching the most people over quality and variety---- I go for the most food for the most people.
We need this or we would starve. We just make over the amount for SNAP. My kids get no food in school. And expenses that cannot be changed are above our income.

We aren't talking about moldy produce or spoiled items. This is meat that is not spoiled or inedible.

Honestly people who question what they receive makes me wonder if someone really needs it. Because we do. We can't afford to be picky.

mha3484

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 9:48 am
I think when it comes to ground beef the less you work it, the softer it is. When they compress it into a tube it gets tough and chewy. If your giving it to me ill make the best of it but I wont buy it anymore.

amother
Wandflower

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 10:01 am
Such meat is very tasty for meatballs or roasted meat stuffed pitas (arayes)

mha3484

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 10:07 am
Im only commenting because I was really excited one year to get a great price at a pre yomtov sale (whole sale prices) and was really disappointed when I actually cooked it. Im not looking to be overly critical just being honest so you know what your getting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics