Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How long did you keep your baby in the portable crib?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:26 pm
Mine is 7 months and I feel like she's growing out of it already.

When I put her to sleep she moves around a lot and keeps bumping into the gate. Sometimes it's her arms, sometimes her legs and sometimes her head.

I'm getting her a toddler crib that will convert to a toddler bed, but I'm wondering if this is unusual?

My moms kids always slept in these cribs until they were almost 2 without any problems.

So I'm just curious to know.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:28 pm
If she's uncomfortable in the portable crib, it's time to switch her to a big crib. Regardless of what your mother did or if you think it's unusual...
My kids were in a big crib by 6 months.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:29 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
If she's uncomfortable in the portable crib, it's time to switch her to a big crib. Regardless of what your mother did or if you think it's unusual...
My kids were in a big crib by 6 months.

Of course.

But I was just wondering, that's all.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:39 pm
mine is now still comfortable in porto. crib she's 2.1 but she's petite if it makes a difference.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:59 pm
amother Red wrote:
mine is now still comfortable in porto. crib she's 2.1 but she's petite if it makes a difference.

Same, my two year old is still in a min crib but she is small

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:08 pm
My husband claims a bigger crib won't solve the problem because then she'll just keep moving until she hits the gate. Which makes sense if you think about it.

So I'm not sure what to do after all

bnm

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:08 pm
Each kid is different.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:13 pm
All my kids were in mini cribs till they switched to beds around 20-24 months. I never thought they were squished. They like to sleep curled up in one corner regardless of how big the crib is, I find.

Mini cribs are the same size as portacribs but they’re more “solid” and cozier than the portable type cribs IMO- like a regular crib just smaller. I find that when my baby is in a portacrib she’s not really comfortable- it moves around with her and is just shakier and the bars are harder.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
My husband claims a bigger crib won't solve the problem because then she'll just keep moving until she hits the gate. Which makes sense if you think about it.

I put a breathable bumper around the crib.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:17 pm
amother OP wrote:

I agree with your husband on that point. I use something similar to this on my mini crib for that reason. It’s a soft cover for each bar. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Doc.....16944

bsy

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:24 pm
I prefer a pack n play because the sides are soft

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:25 pm
I have kids until the age of 2 in porta crib

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:29 pm
I agree with your husband. I discussed this with my doctor, and he advised against getting a new crib or a soft cover. He said every baby does it, and they just learn not to bump themselves, it’s a skill they’re supposed to learn.

marineparkmom

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 9:00 pm
I would think that the babies outgrow the mini crib the same age they outgrow a bassinet

3 months maybe 6 months max

I person always went from a bassinet to a regular crib

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 9:55 pm
My kids sleep in it till about 2.5 then transition to a regular bed.

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 10:14 pm
marineparkmom wrote:
I would think that the babies outgrow the mini crib the same age they outgrow a bassinet

3 months maybe 6 months max

I person always went from a bassinet to a regular crib

What do you mean by this? A mini crib is much larger than a bassinet. And deeper, of course. My 18 month is sleeping just fine in hers.

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 10:19 pm
A mini/ portable crib is plenty big for a 6 month old or even a 1 year old. I use a mesh bumper to avoid bumps. Same with a full size crib once they're moving- they'll bump their head regardless of how much space they have.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics