Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Protein ideas

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:41 pm
I’d like to add more protein to my diet. What are good sources of protein besides dairy, eggs, fish, and fleishigs?

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:51 pm
Nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, quinoa

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:54 pm
Nutritional yeast?

ganmama

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:11 am
If you’re trying to get more protein you normally get the best “bang for your buck” from egg whites, low fat dairy (cottage cheese, yogurt), and low fat fish (tilapia, tuna (fresh or canned),etc.

Other great protein sources include beans, lentils, and soy (legumes) with soy generally having higher protein to carb ratio than other legumes. A lot of people are sensitive to soy so it’s something to keep an eye on.

You can also try seitan which is made from wheat, and a really fun vegetarian protein source.

As other posters mentioned seeds and nuts also give protein, although they tend to be a bit more calorie dense because they’re also higher in healthy fats.

If you want to go the protein powder route there are many kosher choices. My favorite is the Orgain chocolate fudge flavor.

lovelylife

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:12 am
Dairy:

Greek yogurt
Cottage cheese
Eggs

Legumes
Chickpeas
Lentils
Black beans
Fava beans
White beans
Cremini beans

Soy
Soy milk
Tofu
Edamame

All fish, all meat

lovelylife

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:12 am
ganmama wrote:
If you’re trying to get more protein you normally get the best “bang for your buck” from egg whites, low fat dairy (cottage cheese, yogurt), and low fat fish (tilapia, tuna (fresh or canned),etc.

Other great protein sources include beans, lentils, and soy (legumes) with soy generally having higher protein to carb ratio than other legumes. A lot of people are sensitive to soy so it’s something to keep an eye on.

You can also try seitan which is made from wheat, and a really fun vegetarian protein source.

As other posters mentioned seeds and nuts also give protein, although they tend to be a bit more calorie dense because they’re also higher in healthy fats.

If you want to go the protein powder route there are many kosher choices. My favorite is the Orgain chocolate fudge flavor.

Do you find the protein powder has a chalky consistency when added to a smoothie?

ganmama

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:21 am
lovelylife wrote:
Do you find the protein powder has a chalky consistency when added to a smoothie?

This one I don’t find to be particularly chalky, which is one of the reasons I like it. Although I make mug cake and protein pudding much more frequently than I make smoothies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise