Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Feeling sad about tzedaka

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 11:25 am
A few years ago I became very careful about giving maaser and more. I always give generously and am so happy to. I’m not doing it so that I can be blessed with more money, although I’ve heard a lot about the blessings that come with being careful with maaser. The thing is I’m choking right now, in debt, and while I don’t plan to stop giving maaser, I definitely can’t give generously like I used to. It really kills me to turn down requests for donations. And I’m left feeling confused. Does giving maaser bring bracha? If so, I wouldn’t be in debt and have to give less tzedaka. I’m a generous person by nature and it really kills me not to be able to give.

mig100

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 2:25 pm
op you sound incredible.

Tough times. I hope your situation improves a thousand times over and you are repaid many times over for your generosity

Success10

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 2:27 pm
It's certainly a test of emunah to be so tight on money yet still keep giving mayser. It's a huge zchus and you should be zocheh to be giving more than generously very soon.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 2:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
A few years ago I became very careful about giving maaser and more. I always give generously and am so happy to. I’m not doing it so that I can be blessed with more money, although I’ve heard a lot about the blessings that come with being careful with maaser. The thing is I’m choking right now, in debt, and while I don’t plan to stop giving maaser, I definitely can’t give generously like I used to. It really kills me to turn down requests for donations. And I’m left feeling confused. Does giving maaser bring bracha? If so, I wouldn’t be in debt and have to give less tzedaka. I’m a generous person by nature and it really kills me not to be able to give.

I'm in the same exact situation. It sucks but IYH it will get better b'karov.

I will daven for you (if you want, you can daven for me).

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 2:45 pm
amother OP wrote:

Our rav says we are not allowed to give while in debt.

And yes I have the same question as you.

Giving doesn’t only have to be money, and it is generous to give to yourself too to pay off debt.

Imagine that your giving is going to a needy family (yours). Although my rav said not to do that at all. He said to pay off debt first.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 2:49 pm
Success10 wrote:
It's certainly a test of emunah to be so tight on money yet still keep giving mayser. It's a huge zchus and you should be zocheh to be giving more than generously very soon.

I asked this exact question to our rav because I know Hashem gave me money to help others too. But now is not the time he told me. It feels selfish but I trust my rav

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 2:55 pm
Speak to a Rav about whether you should be giving maaser while in debt.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 3:16 pm
You ca try to shop in the emptier/struggling store or buy from Jewish owned if it’s not much more expensive. That’s another way of helping Jews have money.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics