Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
I used to love Pesach food shopping. Not anymore!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 6:57 pm
I try to eat clean. Which means limiting a lot of processed/ packaged foods.
Every year come Pesach time I could count on finding great things on the shelves that were, yes, processed, but had so many fewer and cleaner ingredients than what was on the shelves the rest of the year. No more. I cannot believe the amount of garbage on the labels I saw today. It's been a real shift the last few years but this year seems worse than ever. (And that's not even taking into account my rant on prices - a whole other major issue). I officially no longer enjoy shopping Pesach foods. Sad

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 6:59 pm
Pesach is the very best time to eat clean. Simple delicious food is where it's at.

The packaged stuff tastes awful anyway.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 7:21 pm
I don't specifically "eat clean" (hate the term, leads to orthorexia).
But I purposely buy fewer packaged goods on Pesach. I enjoy going back to basics and my family totally ok because it's Pesach and we do without anyways for so much.
We eat lots of vegetables, fruits, dairy, eggs... very few packaged items. Except my diet coke. That is a non starter for me... I must have my diet coke.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 7:29 pm
Yeah, it's fine. We're used to not buying much of that stuff but it was always like Pesach came and hey, let's indulge in a few treats because look how few ingredients there are and all things that we can pronounce and identify in a line-up. Just not the case now. Not the end of the world by any means; just a shame it's come to this. Even on Pesach the packaged food isn't food.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 7:35 pm
Don’t let it get to you. Every year we buy less and make more at home because the packages stuff is overpriced and all tastes the same.

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 7:36 pm
We don't eat anything processed on pesach but I always stock up on things like ketchup, bbq sauce, chocolate chips to eat year round

amother
Ballota

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 7:37 pm
Come to my house. We don’t eat any processed food on Pesach. I’ll teach you how to make the most delicious food with only chicken, meat, onions, potatoes, eggs, carrots, nuts, apples and oranges. Salt and sugar too but that’s about it.

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 5:14 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
Come to my house. We don’t eat any processed food on Pesach. I’ll teach you how to make the most delicious food with only chicken, meat, onions, potatoes, eggs, carrots, nuts, apples and oranges. Salt and sugar too but that’s about it.

This! I love Pesach food because it's so clean and everything is so fresh.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 5:18 pm
amother Ballota wrote:

Do you use any spices?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 5:19 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
We don't eat anything processed on pesach but I always stock up on things like ketchup, bbq sauce, chocolate chips to eat year round

What's the reason?

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 5:23 pm
amother Ballota wrote:

I had that growing up and we were always hungry.
At least we used oil. I know somebody who only uses shmaltz so even scrambled eggs for breakfast are gross.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 5:45 pm
amother Seablue wrote:
I had that growing up and we were always hungry.
At least we used oil. I know somebody who only uses shmaltz so even scrambled eggs for breakfast are gross.

Have your ever tried to fry with schmaltz? Delicious Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics