Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Constipated baby, what am I doing wrong?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:27 pm
Please don't give babies or children miralax! There's always a reason for constipation.

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:36 pm
I also found feeding baby food so time consuming, until I bought these pouches. Takes so much faster now. I still have to hold it but way faster than spoon feeding. You can also just buy the baby food ready in pouches, obviously.

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Br.....r=8-1

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:43 pm
You can also give him probiotics, that would probably help too.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 1:15 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Cheerios are loaded with sugar. It's the worst of garbage money can buy.

That’s why I feed my baby fruity pebbles instead

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 1:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
Where are you all finding avocados, every time I buy them - and they are not cheap! - 3/4 of them are bad!

He doesn't like eggs. I tried.

So we're basically looking at chicken. How do you make meat soft enough for a baby? He didn't seem so successful at eating chicken last time but he liked it better than eggs.

He loved pieces of sweet potato and broccoli but now you're saying vegetable fiber isn't necessarily age appropriate so now I don't know...

He loves Cheerios and crackers, I've been trying to limit them because I don't want him to get too hooked on carbs so young but he loves them and they're soooo easy.

Cook chicken bottoms with squash and carrots and water for 8-10 hours (like a chicken soup)
Blend the chicken with the veggies together. Will be a perfectly soft purée, you can make a big batch and freeze it in cups, defrost one or 2 a day. It also works for Pesach!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 1:54 pm
Y'allz have fleishig blenders too, in addition to edible avocados? I'm clearly living wrong...

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:23 pm
Only a fleishig immersion blender for soups.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:25 pm
amother Navy wrote:
That’s why I feed my baby fruity pebbles instead

Good job mama, you know they always say to eat a rainbow for balanced nutrition!

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:27 pm
One thing I want to clarify about bananas that I learned when my baby was this age and I was also dealing with similar. Unripe or barely ripe bananas can constipate, but as they ripen the starch turns to sugar and a very ripe banana can actually be really helpful in un-constipating!

Also, what's all this about cheerios. Ok proccessed carbs cause constipation, fine. But of all cereals/crackers whatever, cheerios don't seem to be that bad to me. They have a very low sugar content esp compared to other options and are made from whole grains.

And thanks for keeping this thread fun and funny OP!

supermummy

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:29 pm
Soak prunes in boiling water, mix with tinned peaches and blend. It works magic.

Goldie613

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Where are you all finding avocados, every time I buy them - and they are not cheap! - 3/4 of them are bad!

He doesn't like eggs. I tried.

So we're basically looking at chicken. How do you make meat soft enough for a baby? He didn't seem so successful at eating chicken last time but he liked it better than eggs.

He loved pieces of sweet potato and broccoli but now you're saying vegetable fiber isn't necessarily age appropriate so now I don't know...

He loves Cheerios and crackers, I've been trying to limit them because I don't want him to get too hooked on carbs so young but he loves them and they're soooo easy.

Keep the cheerios - oats shouldn't be hard on little tummies. It's a really standard little kid finger food, so it should be fine.

The crackers, on the other hand...if they are whole wheat ones I wouldn't be surprised if they were the culprit.

BTW, have you tried asking your pediatrician about this?

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:58 pm
My children constipate always from the minute they start eating solids (one from the minute he was born- in the hospital they were trying to get him to make Meconium) until toilet training. Some children (and their mum Wink) are just like that, I don't give carbs at all until at least 9 months, no baby cereal, nurse regularly, water from 6 months gradually from drops to full drinking but its a body type.
My Dr says as long as they are off apples, rice, bananas and Jelly for atleast 2 weeks you can give normalax to help the body regulate.
most store bought jars are apple based so avoid them, try make your own. I bought a very cheap meaty immersion blender for baby food.
can you give raisins by breakfast instead of cheerios? my babies loved them, kept them busy trying to pick them up with their little fingers and it was great for constipation.
try adding a drop of water before scrambling the egg, my kids enjoyed it better like that. I would also make a double batch and put it in the fridge for the next day so I only had to make it every 2 days. same with diced potatos and sweet potatos I would make a large amount of mixed and give everyday some you can soak it in boiling water to get rid of the chill.
You can give a small amount of dairys, at this age I gave approx half a 'cheese' yogurt on days I was struggling with foods (like fromage frais - I dont know other brands out of Israel)
Bamba or corn snacks is a great treat for when you need, dont feel bad to give 'treats' when you need a few mins of peace. check now the pesach snacks which others you can give that are gluten free its the best time to find a variety in the store.
This age is the hardest age as they understand food and want it but their bodies are not as ready. dont feel bad that you are struggling. many of us do.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 6:22 pm
Pear puree every day and half a cup of prune juice every evening.

In terms ofgrains, white rice is the worst, includingrice cakes,rice cereal, rice crackers. So just cut backon that if relevant.

No need to cut out foods, what is most important is to try to give yourbaby abalanced diet.

Soft meatballs (or made with ground turkey or ground chicken) or meat loaf or sheperds pie could be hepful. Also shredded chicken from chicken soup

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 6:39 pm
Another reason to avoid cheerios and all non-organic oats https://www.google.com/amp/s/w.....-ewg/

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 6:53 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
Cook chicken bottoms with squash and carrots and water for 8-10 hours (like a chicken soup)
Blend the chicken with the veggies together. Will be a perfectly soft purée, you can make a big batch and freeze it in cups, defrost one or 2 a day. It also works for Pesach!

Cook chicken and veg and just cut it into pieces.

No need for fleishig blender OP!!

You can freeze it in some liquid and defrost like soup. My baby is also 8 months and she does fine with cubes of veg and pieces of chicken

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 7:54 pm
Thank you everyone Hug

Served the family meatballs and baby enjoyed 3. I have no idea what appropriate portion sizes are. Then he finished the jar of pear puree he wasn't interested in for breakfast. He did have a few Cheerios to stave off his panic while waiting for the meatballs to cool down because he gets crazy frantic when he sees people eating and isn't invited to join them. But like less than 10.

dena613

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:01 pm
I agree he needs some water

Peach, pear, plum, yam are good.

Bananas, cereal, bread, are constipating.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 1:42 am
Reporting back.

A couple of days after starting to adjust diet and one day after adding prunes, he was still crying while pooping and I was feeling futile.

Then today, 2 days after adding prunes, he pooped 3 times (at least. Could it have been 4? I think 3). He must have had a backlog even though he was pooping every day, I guess it wasn't enough each day. He still seemed to be visibly straining but not crying anymore, and at least one of the poops was distinctly softer.

I've been doing all the things: less grains (not none. I still give him a few Cheerios here and there for convenience, but no baby cereal as a meal), more proteins for balance, more sips of water after food, and a few spoons of prune juice/puree a couple of times a day. Though I neglected the prunes today, it was hectic and I'm not sure how much prune is too much. Also he's still scarfing down pieces of sweet potato roasted in oil. I bet he's going to start turning orange but it's his favorite food to eat after Cheerios and it's much more on the healthy side. He also loved butternut squash soup with carrots but that's just as orange, lol. He did have some broccoli but I don't want to make him gassy, and that sums up all the veggies he likes.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics