Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Erev Yom Tov
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Valerian

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 5:41 am
amother Impatiens wrote:
I know this thread is stressing me out so bad

When I was growing up my mother cooked the whole yt on erev yt. And we starved the whole day besides apples and cookies type stuff. I don't blame her. She worked full time until that very very hectic day. I make my own schedule so I take off a week before.
Now I cook a few days in advance and purposely make an extra kugel and some extra meat or chicken and erev yt is calm. In the morning dh will buy chametz sandwiches to know that everyone ate normally. Then for lunch is just yogurt, Cottage cheese and some homemade Crackers with fruit. Then we all lay down for a couple hours. When we wake up I'll serve the normal food and then we do showers/ baths and get ready for yt. I barely cook on erev yt. Plan for it and it's so much calmer if u can.

amother
Oldlace

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 5:48 am
amother Valerian wrote:
When I was growing up my mother cooked the whole yt on erev yt. And we starved the whole day besides apples and cookies type stuff. I don't blame her. She worked full time until that very very hectic day. I make my own schedule so I take off a week before.
Now I cook a few days in advance and purposely make an extra kugel and some extra meat or chicken and erev yt is calm. In the morning dh will buy chametz sandwiches to know that everyone ate normally. Then for lunch is just yogurt, Cottage cheese and some homemade Crackers with fruit. Then we all lay down for a couple hours. When we wake up I'll serve the normal food and then we do showers/ baths and get ready for yt. I barely cook on erev yt. Plan for it and it's so much calmer if u can.

How do you take off a whole week before?
I have the PTO, but taking off the week and a half for YT is hard enough. How does everything (anything ?) get done if you take off the week before too?

amother
Petunia

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 6:24 am
amother Valerian wrote:

Same experience growing up!! The pots came out on erev pesach. We literally STARVED! I will do whatever I can to make sure my kids don’t have that experience. I cook in advance and make sure there is real food for erev pesach.
It’s basically yogurt, cheese, pesach cake and I make scrambled eggs for lunch sometimes with potatoes. It’s a lot of noshing during the day… pesach crackers, hot cocoa… then at around 4pm everyone is good and ready for a piece of schnitzel and potato kugel.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 7:32 am
amother Oldlace wrote:
How do you take off a whole week before?
I have the PTO, but taking off the week and a half for YT is hard enough. How does everything (anything ?) get done if you take off the week before too?

I don't know about amother Valerian, but I take just one day of PTO prior to Y"T. Kasher over the weekend, cook a bit each evening after work, and take off 1 day mid-week for intense cooking.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics