Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Refuses antibiotics

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 11:02 pm
My ds age 5 has strep and absolutely refusing to take his medicine.
We tried bribing and begging and won't take it. Is there any ideas on how to get him to take it? I will not forcefully give it to him as that feels so mean. He needs to take it!!

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 11:18 pm
Have you tried chewables? Amoxil and augmentin both come in chewables and worked for my kid who refused liquid. It’s not always covered by insurance though.

lilytee

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 11:23 pm
Give him choices… kids like to make their own decisions.
Do you want to take your medicine before or after dinner?
Do you want it in juice or something else?

Hope that helps.

amother
Mintcream

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 11:24 pm
You can tell him that if he doesn't take it he will have to go to the hospital to have it put in thru I.v

BTW it's not mean to force a kid to take antibiotics, it's mean to take the risk of having an untreated child.
Good luck, I've had that in the past, it's not easy!

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 11:38 pm
I have no issue holding a kids arms and squeezing cheeks to administer necessary medicine. Your 5 year old doesn’t know what he needs and can’t be rational.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 9:18 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
I have no issue holding a kids arms and squeezing cheeks to administer necessary medicine. Your 5 year old doesn’t know what he needs and can’t be rational.

He gets so upset when I do that. Literally traumatized by it. It feels too mean.

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 9:28 am
amother OP wrote:
He gets so upset when I do that. Literally traumatized by it. It feels too mean.

Ask your dr how important it is
Sometimes you gotta do mean things as a parent when you know it’s the right thing to do!
The dr can also give him a 1-2 doses of antibiotics by shot if necessary

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 9:30 am
My almost 3 yr old refuses to take anything orally. He'll gag and vomit anything I manage to get in. I have his prescription made into suppository. It costs some $$ but gets the antibiotics in. Not all pharmacies have this service.

baked ziti

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 9:32 am
When my kids have to take antibiotics that tastes nasty (like azithromycin) I mix it into grape juice. It masks the taste very well. Better than any other juice.

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 9:32 am
Anyways you can mix it into something without him realizing it? I do that for my 2 yr old.... I know with 5 yr old that would be harder to do though...

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 9:47 am
amother OP wrote:

I think your pity is misplaced . You’re his mother and you know better. He needs you to know better and give give the medicine

New2Lakewood

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 9:51 am
talk to the pediatrician. here are some things we did that aren't mentioned above that helped with a really bad strep throat and a child who didn't want to take the medicine:

tylenol 45 minutes before each antibiotic dose for the first 2 days (had to be rectally because the throat was too sore to swallow!)

Stickers and ice pops after each medicine dose (for the first 2-3 days). Once the throat improved and they were used to the medicine - and no longer dehydrated - we cut back (choice of ice pop or stickers), then stopped altogether.

made it into a game - make silly blech sounds after swallowed and faces, everyone clapped and cheered that they took the medicine

when all else fails, talk to the pediatrician. There are other antibiotics, flavoring options, and even injectable treatments that sometimes are necessary.

refuah shelaima!

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 11:21 am
What always worked for my kids was sipping grape juice with a straw after swallowing small amounts at a time

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 11:29 am
My kids learn how to swallow pills from around 4-5.
Before that I simply have to hold them down and give the meds.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 11:31 am
Can you mix in grape juice?

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 11:51 am
My daughter is on Azithromax for the past few months. She HATES it, even when mixed with juice. I give it to her in her sleep. She wakes up for a second and goes back to sleep.

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 1:10 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
My daughter is on Azithromax for the past few months. She HATES it, even when mixed with juice. I give it to her in her sleep. She wakes up for a second and goes back to sleep.

This works for dd too

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 1:35 pm
Misplaced Rachmanut!
Ensuring your child takes their meds, even against his will, is not mean!
I give my kids a choice- either you can take it by yourself - with grape juice or a with ices or with chocolate syrup mixed in or get a treat after or something like that- or
I will hold you down and give it to you.
Choose!

MyUsername

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 3:08 pm
Have him suck on ice cubes right before, it numbs the tastebuds somewhat - telll him this too, so he will understand. Then immediately after ice cube have him hold his nose and swallow medicine, he will taste it much less. And a bribe for after too.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 4:49 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
You can tell him that if he doesn't take it he will have to go to the hospital to have it put in thru IV.

Only do this if you mean it. Children can normally see through empty threats. Even if you went, I doubt the hospital would do it, anyway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics