Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you leave house when self clean oven toxic smell

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 9:48 pm
Every time I self clean the oven for pesach, it smells toxic. It's it safe to stay home or do you leave? We open all windows but it's still bad.

effess

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 9:49 pm
I stay home though agree the smell is nasty

amother
Hunter

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 9:51 pm
Open all the kitchen windows.

I know someone whose self clean cycle caused a fire. I think someone should be home and monitoring.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 10:27 pm
Even with all the windows open it smells so bad.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 10:28 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
Open all the kitchen windows.

I know someone whose self clean cycle caused a fire. I think someone should be home and monitoring.

Sad that's scary

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 10:33 pm
Open windows and use exhaust fan. I’ve also heard some bad stories. Would not recommend leaving, but maybe go in a different room . Also, it might not be necessary to use the longest cycle. AYLOR.

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 11:29 pm
My neighbor almost burned the house down!!! She did self clean and went on a shopping spree. I have still have PTSD and I don’t think I can ever forgive her for the anxiety and fears I now have all those years.

Please Please stay home to monitor.

and btw why do people think ovens need self clean?? It burns everything and breaks machines. Are ovens so dirty that some St Moritz and a good scrub can’t take care of?

GLUE

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 11:40 pm
amother Pearl wrote:
My neighbor almost burned the house down!!! She did self clean and went on a shopping spree. I have still have PTSD and I don’t think I can ever forgive her for the anxiety and fears I now have all those years.

and btw why do people think ovens need self clean?? It burns everything and breaks machines. Are ovens so dirty that some St Moritz and a good scrub can’t take care of?

I self clean my ovens to Kasher them for Pesach
Do you use an insert over Pesach?

mommyhood

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 5:52 am
I put a standing fan on the side of the oven towards the closest window. Helps a lot. I also find if the oven is cleaned well before it smells a lot less.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:29 am
We do it when home but ideally get the kids out of the house. We try to pick a nice day, open all the windows, and have the kids play outside or one of us takes the kids out and the other stays home. Also my Rabbi also said you don't have to run the entire cycle (check with yours). It's enough to get up to the right temp for a few min.

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:53 am
amother Pearl wrote:

Self-clean is not needed, but since in cleans the interior of the oven and kashers, it saves the chemicals and physical labor involved in cleaning thenoven.

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:54 am
GLUE wrote:
I self clean my ovens to Kasher them for Pesach
Do you use an insert over Pesach?

Self-clean cleans and kashers. If only kashering is needed, that can be done at a lower temp. I don't use an insert after my oven is kashered. It's kashered. That's the point.

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:56 am
amother Oak wrote:
We do it when home but ideally get the kids out of the house. We try to pick a nice day, open all the windows, and have the kids play outside or one of us takes the kids out and the other stays home. Also my Rabbi also said you don't have to run the entire cycle (check with yours). It's enough to get up to the right temp for a few min.

At what point can you assume it has reached the highest temp ? I also wondered about stopping the self clean cycle earlier.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:58 am
Always clean the oven very well and it still smells horribly. One time I put it on the highest temperature for a few hours instead of self clean and it also smelled badly but not as bad as self clean.

chestnut

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:59 am
amother Snow wrote:
At what point can you assume it has reached the highest temp ? I also wondered about stopping the self clean cycle earlier.

CAN you stop it mid-cycle?

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:11 am
Buy only the EZ OFF "FUME FREE" There is no smell And most ovens you can press cancel in middle but the door stays locked until it calls off a bit for safety.
https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Of.....31218

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:16 am
amother Snow wrote:
Self-clean cleans and kashers. If only kashering is needed, that can be done at a lower temp. I don't use an insert after my oven is kashered. It's kashered. That's the point.

Not everyone paskens this way. Dh’s family used oven inserts or cooked on the stove top only before self clean existed.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 9:05 am
How long should self clean run?

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 9:06 am
amother OP wrote:
How long should self clean run?

You don't get to decide this. Smile The oven has self clean settings and you just have to press ON and wait for the cycle to finish.
Usually 3 hours.

dena613

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 2:40 pm
Actually, many ovens have a few time settings for self clean.
Our rov (litvish, yeshivish) said we should do 3-4 hours cycle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics