Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Best new ( Jewish) books
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:15 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Alone Together was very different than Rachel Pomerantz's other books. I couldn't even finish it, it was that disappointing.
If you like fiction short stories, Esty Heller's Long Story Short is great. They were all originally from the Family First

Alone Together definitely wasn’t Rachel Pomeranz usual book but it was typical frum fiction which I like. I didn’t love that it was about Covid but I still thought it was a good book.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:24 pm
amother Currant wrote:
FrumBooks ( https://frumbooks.substack.com/)
has a newsletter put out every couple weeks, she has release roundups every season, reviews on new Frum releases (all age groups and genres).
Check out her reviews Sukkos and Chanuka time, those will probably be super helpful for you!

And her substack is worth a follow!

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 11:50 pm
Amazon is suggesting Bethlehem by Yariv Inbar. It seems author worked in Israeli intelligence. Not a frum book, anyone know if it's clean?

penguin

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 11:59 pm
Canceled and Hold the Line were both serialized. Maybe in Hamodia? I remember finding both quite engaging. And I very often do buy books I've read in magazines. I like them much better when I cam read them start to finish.

yachnabobba

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:15 am
I actually wrote a book. It’s about 400 pages . Each essay or poem is about 500 words. My goal was to make something that nursing mothers could enjoy. I can’t get it published…. Idk how or what to do

newinbp

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:26 am
Are Riva and Rochel pomerantz related?

safetynet1

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 2:44 pm
Rachel Pomerantz is a pen name. Her real name is Malka Schaps

newinbp

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 2:58 pm
safetynet1 wrote:
Rachel Pomerantz is a pen name. Her real name is Malka Schaps

Really? Isn’t it interesting tho that her pen name is the same last name as Riva pomerantz, no connection?

safetynet1

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 3:07 pm
Rachel Pomerantz wrote her first book way before Riva did. By chance I guess?

This is an interesting read
https://aish.com/whats-a-forme.....sity/

s1

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:14 pm
It's not new but I just got The Last Slave, it's a fiction based on midrashim about galus and yetzias mitzrayim. One of the best books I have ever read.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:50 pm
s1 wrote:
It's not new but I just got The Last Slave, it's a fiction based on midrashim about galus and yetzias mitzrayim. One of the best books I have ever read.

Interesting that you say that because I hated it. Too many gory details in there and very little focus on actual story of yetzias mitzraim.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:52 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
I'm not the OP, but I posted earlier and thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm down to a few choices now:

My first choice is Hidden by Rachel Istrin

My second choice is alone together by Rachel Pomerantz

And my third and fourth choices are:

More or less by Devora Rand

Rule of three by Esther Kurtz

They all look amazing. Any suggestions which one I should get?

I vote hidden. The best read I've had in a long time!
I happen to love light fun novels and hidden is anything but that. Still, I got so swept up in the story, that author is amazing!

mizle10

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:55 pm
s1 wrote:

I just got this! Saving it for pesach

runninglate

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:58 pm
amother Coral wrote:
Interesting that you say that because I hated it. Too many gory details in there and very little focus on actual story of yetzias mitzraim.
I thought this was very well written, but I did find it too gory. I couldn’t get many of the images out of my head.

runninglate

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:59 pm
Escape Room by Devorah Rand was really good.

safetynet1

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:59 pm
I agree with the gory description on The last slave. I preferred Dual discovery. It made the Makkos come alive

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 10:51 pm
amother Coral wrote:
I vote hidden. The best read I've had in a long time!
I happen to love light fun novels and hidden is anything but that. Still, I got so swept up in the story, that author is amazing!

That is so cool! I’m so happy I picked up the captives book by her out of all the books at aim byisroel library, she does write really well! Thank you Hashem for that present! I’ll look up hidden also but if it’s too intense it may not be for me..

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 10:57 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
That is so cool! I’m so happy I picked up the captives book by her out of all the books at aim byisroel library, she does write really well! Thank you Hashem for that present! I’ll look up hidden also but if it’s too intense it may not be for me..

For a Holocaust book it wasn’t heavy but I found it too dragged out. I skimmed through the middle as did a couple of other people I spoke to when I read it. The person who leant it to me thought we were all crazy and it was the best book ever so everyone’s different.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 1:37 am
Thanks so much everyone!

qwerty4

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 11:38 am
Can Rochel Istrin's Return from Captivity be read even if I didnt read the prequel?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room