Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
13 year old wants to get BB gun
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:52 pm
Does anyone let their kids use it? Do you watch them? What age? Are there safer ones?
My son really wants one and has been begging me for the last few years.

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:52 pm
No way

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:02 am
No way! That's dangerous, can really hurt others.
Why does he want one?

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:03 am
Are you for real?! Can't Believe It

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:05 am
I highly doubt you'll find any parent that allows a 13 year old to own a BB.
Why don't you tell him that he can have one in a few years when he's a bit older or more responsible?

Unless you live in EY?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:07 am
amother Currant wrote:
I highly doubt you'll find any parent that allows a 13 year old to own a BB.
Why don't you tell him that he can have one in a few years when he's a bit older or more responsible?

Unless you live in EY?

At what age would you allow? Would you allow a child under adult supervision?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:10 am
Would you also not let your kids have nerf guns? My son has nerf guns for years and has always been careful.

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:13 am
amother OP wrote:
At what age would you allow? Would you allow a child under adult supervision?

I wouldn't allow a child to own one at all. How do I know he's not going to use it without adult supervision?
I would allow a responsible older teen, like an 18 year old. But again, the key word being responsible.

Rappel

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:13 am
Where do you expect him to use it?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:14 am
amother Currant wrote:
I wouldn't allow a child to own one at all. How do I know he's not going to use it without adult supervision?
I would allow a responsible older teen, like an 18 year old. But again, the key word being responsible.

Ok. So basically you can keep it in a safe place and give it to the child to play with your supervision.

The concern is owning it or using it?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:14 am
Rappel wrote:
Where do you expect him to use it?

Outside. He wants to shoot targets.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:16 am
My DH is extremely into BB, pellet and airsoft guns, and has a huge collection. He’s in his 30’s, and even for him it’s a dangerous hobby to have. These guns are not toys, they can seriously injure people. Please do not let your 13 yo get one..

I would try to offer safer alternatives, if he’s suddenly very interested in this type of thing. Maybe something of the following?

1. A FPS video game, like Halo or call of duty
2. Organized trips to a paintball place
3. Nerf guns? I know these seem lame, but there are some very powerful ones out there that are actually really fun. And there’s places these days that offer nerf war rooms which can be extremely fun with friends. DH and I do this
4. Laser tag guns? You can get sets for not that much $$, and he can play with his friends whenever/wherever. We do full family laser tag games around the house with all the lights off, it’s awesome.

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:16 am
amother OP wrote:
Ok. So basically you can keep it in a safe place and give it to the child to play with your supervision.

The concern is owning it or using it?

Both. I teach my children that violence, guns included, have no place in a Jewish home. Obviously I also teach them that certain circumstances call for different measures but in general Jewish children don't play with guns.
My teenage son took up shooting as a sport, he's a responsible kid, so I'm ok with him owning one.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:19 am
amother Currant wrote:
Both. I teach my children that violence, guns included, have no place in a Jewish home. Obviously I also teach them that certain circumstances call for different measures but in general Jewish children don't play with guns.
My teenage son took up shooting as a sport, he's a responsible kid, so I'm ok with him owning one.

I'm confused. You don't think it's ok but you let your teen go shooting? With what?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:21 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
My DH is extremely into BB, pellet and airsoft guns, and has a huge collection. He’s in his 30’s, and even for him it’s a dangerous hobby to have. These guns are not toys, they can seriously injure people. Please do not let your 13 yo get one..

I would try to offer safer alternatives, if he’s suddenly very interested in this type of thing. Maybe something of the following?

1. A FPS video game, like Halo or call of duty
2. Organized trips to a paintball place
3. Nerf guns? I know these seem lame, but there are some very powerful ones out there that are actually really fun. And there’s places these days that offer nerf war rooms which can be extremely fun with friends. DH and I do this
4. Laser tag guns? You can get sets for not that much $$, and he can play with his friends whenever/wherever. We do full family laser tag games around the house with all the lights off, it’s awesome.

Do you know which Nerf guns are really powerful?

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:23 am
Um....if anyone saw the trial from last week parents were sentenced 10 years in prison for giving their 15 year old a gun.....I think getting him one would be irresponsible on your part.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Do you know which Nerf guns are really powerful?

Try the brand Dart Zone. The guns shoot much harder and faster than Nerf and it makes it more enjoyable for us adults, so I’m assuming a teenager will appreciate it as well.

We use these in our nerf wars and it’s a lot of fun

https://www.target.com/p/dart-.....63544

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:34 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm confused. You don't think it's ok but you let your teen go shooting? With what?

Please don't allow your son to ever use it around people. It can seriously injur people. I don't understand how a responsible parent is even think of allowing their kids to have any type of powerful gun.

Rappel

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Outside. He wants to shoot targets.

And you have a massive great outdoors by your house, with thick stands of trees and dirt between you and the next living thing?

Is there an experienced adult in the house whom he respects, whom can train him in gun discipline *before* he ever owns a gun?

Rappel

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:19 am
Rappel wrote:
And you have a massive great outdoors by your house, with thick stands of trees and dirt between you and the next living thing?

Is there an experienced adult in the house whom he respects, whom can train him in gun discipline *before* he ever owns a gun?

I wouldn't even let my kids have a bow and arrow without these conditions.

Imagine the worst case scenario (ex: him hanging out in his room and it accidentally going off and shooting someone in the bedroom next door), and think how you can prevent that.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics