Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
10 year old mustache when to address it?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 6:44 am
I notice she is getting dark hair at her mustache area. What age do girls start to notice and address it?

Boys_momma

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 7:13 am
I started waxing around 9/10. I don’t think I would let it get any worse before addressing it. In my opinion

momX4

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 7:18 am
My dd wasn't ready until she turned 12. She was concerned that everyone will notice. Some girls did notice and shared that they also waxed.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 7:27 am
IMHO when she addresses it herself.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 7:31 am
If you don’t address it she will figure it out on her own. I would definitely discuss options with her.

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 7:32 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
IMHO when she addresses it herself.

I would not do this. Not every girl is so self aware or even realizes that there is something to do about it.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 7:37 am
amother Eggplant wrote:
I would not do this. Not every girl is so self aware or even realizes that there is something to do about it.

So mother may offer it in a gentle way if she wants.
If she doesn't seem to be bothered herself then why interfere?
I agree it's more estetical but in the end of the day its her face, not mine.

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 7:56 am
I started my dd on electrolysis at 11.

She is the type not to recognize it or be self aware. I think as her mom it's your duty to make sure she is well taken care of...you don't want kids to tease her about it

amother
Anemone

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:16 am
What type of dark are we talking? Is it dark blonde and only noticeable if you stare at it, or is it black and you can see it across the room? Unless it looks really bad I wouldn’t make such a young child start anything. Most kids are not doing anything at this age.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:08 am
I'd wait for her to bring it up herself. If she doesn't bring it up by age 12-13, I may mention something to her.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 10:22 am
Dd almost 12 has brought it up but I think she’s too young to start painful procedures she’d be terrified.
Anyone has ideas other than waxing that she’d have to do for life?

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 10:31 am
amother Phlox wrote:
Dd almost 12 has brought it up but I think she’s too young to start painful procedures she’d be terrified.
Anyone has ideas other than waxing that she’d have to do for life?

I don't think 12 year old is too young. My dd has low pain tolerance and we started electrolysis at 11. It's the only permanent solution. The beginning was hard for her but I held her hand throughout. Honestly I think a little pain is better than walking around with a mustache.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 10:41 am
10 isn't too young, depending how dark it is and how she feels about it. (12-13 years is usually also fine) but Please please be careful. I agree that some kids won't notice unless you point it out, and you don't want everyone else to notice before she does. But you can't make her feel bad about how she looks...

"hey, just so you know, a lot of people use XYZ methods to remove hair that grows on their face as they get older. Let me know if you're interested in doing that and I'll make an appointment/show you how"
If you see she's not interested, and it's really very obvious, then wait a while and explain it again "women who have hair in this/that spot remove it, because [not actually sure what you should say here]. would you rather do method X or Y? Do you have any other ideas or questions?"

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 11:12 am
Just went with my almost 13 year old daughter for a lip wax. She had hair for years, but last Shabbos one of her brothers made fun of it. We were very chilled and she was happy to have it done. She had no pain. I told her it’s like ripping off a bandaid - hurts for about a second.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 11:16 am
amother Chambray wrote:
I don't think 12 year old is too young. My dd has low pain tolerance and we started electrolysis at 11. It's the only permanent solution. The beginning was hard for her but I held her hand throughout. Honestly I think a little pain is better than walking around with a mustache.

What’s the deal with laser? Isn’t that a permanent solution? I’ve done it myself but I don’t have that much hair.

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 11:18 am
amother Phlox wrote:
What’s the deal with laser? Isn’t that a permanent solution? I’ve done it myself but I don’t have that much hair.

A lot of people don't recommend laser for the face.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:47 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
A lot of people don't recommend laser for the face.

I did laser for small area on face. It was helpful! As far as I know it's the most effective form of hair removal. They do say that hormones can cause some hair to grow back even after laser treatments but I still think it's a very worthwhile investment. Waxing can make the hair grow back even more.

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:49 pm
amother Gray wrote:
I did laser for small area on face. It was helpful! As far as I know it's the most effective form of hair removal. They do say that hormones can cause some hair to grow back even after laser treatments but I still think it's a very worthwhile investment. Waxing can make the hair grow back even more.

Electrolysis is actually the most effective it kills the root. I did it 15 years ago never grew back bh

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:56 pm
With a 10 year old you can talk about puberty, so even though this doesn't really have to do with it, it can be an opportunity when talking about body hair as one of the changes that happens to also casually mention that there are various types of hair removal for face and body for those who prefer to remove it. That way she knows it's an option, but you're not telling her anything negative about her appearance.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 2:37 pm
My 8 year old has a dark moustache and other body hair, started at age 6/7 (yes we saw an endo, its just early hair growth, no concern). I haven't addressed removal at all. Should I already be starting now???
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics