Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
BOOK REC 🙏
1  2  Next

FlowersforAlger

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 9:52 pm
Anyone have any awesome book recs?

Biographies, nonfiction, fiction. Anything.

Only 2 no nos

1. Cannot be nightmare worthy material
2. Clean words and ideas. (As much as possible)

Einikel

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 9:56 pm
I just read The Nightingale and I loved it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 10:03 pm
When breath becomes air

The center cannot hold

Maybe you should talk to someone

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 10:11 pm
Einikel wrote:

Same! Omgg it was excellent!! I bought a few more for pesach. Hope it’s also good and somewhat clean

monseymom25

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 10:27 pm
Here are some of my favorite books:

Lady Tan’s Circle of Women by Lisa See is an incredible book. It’s historical fiction.

Mrs. Plansky’s Revenge by Spencer Quinn was well done and actually a hilarious book.

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus

Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt

The World Played Chess by Robert Dugoni

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. It’s actually an amazing book. It is a little scary though.

Golden Girl by Elin Hilderbrand

The Bird Hotel by Joyce Maynard. I just lived this so much.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

amother
Leaf

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 10:30 pm
Shadow divers (excellent read non fiction)

American kingpin (excellent read non fiction)

pichenko (excellent read- fiction)

Into Thin Air (excellent read- non fiction)

FlowersforAlger

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 10:54 pm
You guys!! Thanks so much!

My Pesach is made!!!

Any sci-fi recs too?

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 10:57 pm
I really enjoyed Lydia Cohen Loigmans books
Read the matchmaker and the two family house . Both amazing and pretty clean
Bought the wartime sisters for pesach

bgr8ful

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 10:59 pm
Einikel wrote:

same!! I felt like at some point in the middle I had to push to continue but my eyes mightve teared up at the end.
I just got her new book "the women" to read on pesach and im hoping its as good.

Goldengoose

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 11:03 pm
this will be my claim to fame: ALL KRISTEN HANNAH BOOKS are amazing amazing. thank me later. Wink

monseymom25

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 11:06 pm
I also liked the Nightingale a lot. Kristen Hannah is so talented and her writing keeps evolving. I also really liked The Great Alone and The Four Winds. I just finished listening to the audiobook of The Women and I’m speechless. It was such an incredible read. So emotional.

bgr8ful

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 11:14 pm
kate quinn is my all time favorite historical fiction writer, though her books are maybe a touch more explicit than kristen hannah.
her books the rose code, the huntress and the diamond eye are my favorite historical fiction books. so so so good. highly recommend.
her new book that just came out now, the phoenix crown, really dissapointed me though, it did not live up to her reputation at all. she wrote it with a cowriter so maybe that messed things up, but it really wasnt quality literature at all.

amother
Thistle

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:11 am
monseymom25 wrote:
I also liked the Nightingale a lot. Kristen Hannah is so talented and her writing keeps evolving. I also really liked The Great Alone and The Four Winds. I just finished listening to the audiobook of The Women and I’m speechless. It was such an incredible read. So emotional.

If I never read any kristan hannah which would you recommend I start with? Not the best one forster preferably

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:27 am
amother Midnight wrote:

Me too! But "The Matchmaker's Gift" is even better!

monseymom25

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 4:06 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
If I never read any kristan hannah which would you recommend I start with? Not the best one forster preferably

I think The Nightingale is a good start. I loved it and went on to read The Great Alone. It’s a book I reread every once in a while because I really liked it. The Four Winds was excellent too. I just finished The Women. I cried many times while reading it. It’s a masterpiece. I’ve also read some of her earlier books. I liked Home Front, Winter Garden, On Mystic Lake. I did not enjoy Night Road.

rk22

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:24 pm
I second Kristan Hannah. The first book I read of hers was The Nightingale, and I got hooked. Some of her other ones that are my personal favorites are The Great Alone, The Four Winds, and Home Front. I remember crying through Home Front.. OMG.
Just saw The Women and have it on my list to read.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:27 pm
If you like Kristen Hannah then Kristen harmel is amazing too

Goldengoose

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:43 pm
bgr8ful wrote:
kate quinn is my all time favorite historical fiction writer, though her books are maybe a touch more explicit than kristen hannah.
her books the rose code, the huntress and the diamond eye are my favorite historical fiction books. so so so good. highly recommend.
her new book that just came out now, the phoenix crown, really dissapointed me though, it did not live up to her reputation at all. she wrote it with a cowriter so maybe that messed things up, but it really wasnt quality literature at all.

can we please be friends?? I adore those 3 books. I think my favorites ever. never found someone to agree with me so I stopped talking about her and telling everyone to read those 3 books.

bgr8ful

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 12:33 am
Goldengoose wrote:
can we please be friends?? I adore those 3 books. I think my favorites ever. never found someone to agree with me so I stopped talking about her and telling everyone to read those 3 books.

im just seeing this now but yes!!!
I recommend these books to everyone I know, im obsessed with them. was so superbly dissapointed with her last one but I still love love love these 3. how could anyone not like them? I think its beyond cool to learn about the often forgotten characters in history that I never wouldve known abt otherwise. I mean bletchley park in ww2? Surprised who wouldve thought that regular young adults were sitting and cracking enemy codes? amazing. and female fighter pilots? and snipers? cmon. obsessed. her characters leap off the page.

I came back here to give an update abt The Women by kristen hannah, which I read last night till it was light outside and finished this afternoon. I have so many thoughts and since no one irl is interested I'll spill them here:

as someone who wasnt around during the vietnam war, it was fascinating to get a glimpse of what it was like in america at that time. I was taken aback at how the political climate then seems to freakishly parallel whats happening now with israel-palestine (I was so taken aback when I saw the very familiar "bring them home" slogan in the book, even though it was used for a very different reason. was weird to see those words in a book abt the 1970s.) the college campuses, the protests, riots, the anger based on misinformation... all shockingly familiar. history repeats itself I guess.

althought I really enjoyed the book I feel like the author gets away with subpar writing cuz shes so popular. at some points I felt like I was taken out of the story cuz the writing and dialogue was just not flowing well. but hey I was still up till dawn.

I might've shed a few tears. idk how she keeps doing that to me.

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 12:38 am
amother Midnight wrote:

I look her up every once in a while to see if there’s a new release!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics