Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Tomboy daughter study
1  2  Next

How old were you when you had your tomboy daughter?
20 or younger  
 3%  [ 4 ]
21-25  
 19%  [ 22 ]
26-30  
 13%  [ 16 ]
31-35  
 6%  [ 8 ]
36-40  
 6%  [ 8 ]
41 or older  
 0%  [ 1 ]
I don't have a tomboy daughter  
 48%  [ 56 ]
Total Votes : 115

Miranda Wright

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 7:30 pm
I recently read a study that correlated maternal age to having girls with more tomboyish personality traits (don't want to say which age so as not to influence the results). Curious to see if anyone has observed this IRL. If you have a daughter who doesn't like typical girly clothes or activities, how old were you when she was born? Or, if you are/were a tomboy, how old was your mom when she had you?

yes I know this is not really scientific

Last edited by Miranda Wright on Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cherry

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 7:35 pm
I have 7 girls born between my 20s and early 40s. No tomboys. Amusingly I am not an a super big girly girl.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 7:37 pm
House full of girls no tomboys. Also grew up in a girl home the tomboy was smack in the middle and my mother was mid twenties. She did it for attention and she outgrew it quickly.

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:05 pm
Is tomboy a word that we eve use nowadays?

I have one girly girl born when I was 37

sequoia

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:08 pm
The word “tomboy” means different things in frum circles and in the general society. In the former any girl who has ever had an intellectual interest or played a sport is branded a tomboy.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:12 pm
sequoia wrote:
The word “tomboy” means different things in frum circles and in the general society. In the former any girl who has ever had an intellectual interest or played a sport is branded a tomboy.

Not true. Tomboys in the frum world are kids who prefer climbing trees, going frog hunting and being rough and dirty.

michimochi

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:41 pm
I was a tomboy. Mom had me at 22.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:48 pm
I was a tomboy, my mother had me at 21. A sister of mine that is also a tomboy (or was one, at any rate - champion frog catcher in our bungalow colony!) was born when my mother was 32.

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:50 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
Not true. Tomboys in the frum world are kids who prefer climbing trees, going frog hunting and being rough and dirty.

I just call these girls ‘outdoorsy’

So are all the girls who go to sternberg called tomboys according to this definition?

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:50 pm
I have 6 girls ba”h when I was ages 22-36 and no tomboys. I myself am not so into girly things but I wouldn’t call myself a tomboy.

GLUE

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:54 pm
I was reading an article a few years ago called, What happened to all the Tomboys?

The author of this study was commenting how Tomboys where very common in the 1970's but not so common now. It spoke about the culture difference and why the author thinks things changed.

I don't remember the whole thing.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:54 pm
I was (am?) A major tomboy and my mother had me at 31.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:55 pm
So far 20-30 wins over 30-40, however, we can assume that more mothers on this site are below age 30? and people tend to have more kids between 20-30 than 30-40...

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:00 pm
I'm a tomboy, my mother had me at 30. My youngest is my only girl, and she's too young to know if she's a tomboy or not.

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:01 pm
amother Clear wrote:
I was a tomboy, my mother had me at 21. A sister of mine that is also a tomboy (or was one, at any rate - champion frog catcher in our bungalow colony!) was born when my mother was 32.

Hey sis

Goldengoose

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:03 pm
amother Cyan wrote:

googles translation for tomboy: a girl who enjoys rough, noisy activities traditionally associated with boys.

I never heard it have to do with intellectual things.

agreer

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:25 pm
This poll is flawed because there are more young people on this site than older people. It's not an accurate population sample.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 10:51 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
Hey sis

Fancy meeting you here!

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 11:56 pm
Is a tomboy strictly for boyish activities?

How about tomman?

I dont enjoy shopping or clothing. And I do enjoy cars, learning (Nach) and managing the business (of many men workers and bosses)

But hey, I do enjoy activities with my kids as parsha treats and board games (feminine instincts) but also hiking and biking.

Dunno, Im still trying to figure out my place in society.

GLUE

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 12:07 am
amother NeonYellow wrote:
Is a tomboy strictly for boyish activities?

How about tomman?

I dont enjoy shopping or clothing. And I do enjoy cars, learning (Nach) and managing the business (of many men workers and bosses)

But hey, I do enjoy activities with my kids as parsha treats and board games (feminine instincts) but also hiking and biking.

Dunno, Im still trying to figure out my place in society.

One Shobbos in Shul my husband was learning Navi with one of our sons. Someone came to ask him why he is learning this, Navi is for girls to learn not boys.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics